What is the speed of the Shark

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Eddiem200

What is the speed of the Shark

Post by Eddiem200 »

I do not have a store near me to go see this in person working.. i am in Branson MO if anyone has one by me i would love to see it working.

My ?s on speed are

If you are only routing into the wood like cedar for a small sign around 9 inch by 20 and you are routing in around 1/4 of a inch how long will it take to rout into the wood a few words like names like John and Mary EST 2007?

I want to make small cedar signs and cut small sign shapes.

Also is the shark something that can be used everyday for many hours a day making small signs like 12 to 15 of them a day 7 days a week.
I am doing some hand routing now and setting up a sandblast system for some items to.

This would be for a small sign business that dose custom Cedar signs in the average size of 9x24 inch and smaller.
Looking for a way to knock them out fast. If the Shark can handle routing the letters fast i could blast on artwork around the letters i think faster then the shark could do that but i am not sure as i have never tested one or know what the routing times are for something like this.

No one seems to post the amount of routing time it took for the things they have made and posted here.

Thanks

Jack

Re: What is the speed of the Shark

Post by Jack »

A simple sign 9" X 20" with “Joe’s Fishing Lodge” with about 2” high text and a border will take about 6 min. to carve.
I'm sure that you could make 15 in a day without a problem! :D

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Hi Eddiem200,

My opinion regarding the everyday use is that with reasonable maintenance, the machine will hold up to reasonable commercial duty use. The kinds of signs that you are talking about are right up the alley for the Shark. On a couple of recent post in the project areas I listed the program calculated times that the various elements took, but for basic engraving of an almost unlimited variety of fonts it is very quick. Some run it quicker than others. I choose to slow mine down a little to hopefully keep cutter life up and amount of sanding and clean up down. I find it produces nicer work with slower feed rates. However, when it gets into 3d carvings its a whole new ball game. I use a roughing cut with a 1/4" end mill and then a finish cut with a ball nose bit. I did a 3d Fire department symbol a few days ago that took a couple hours for the roughing cut and about 4 hours for the finishing pass, but it looks awesome (I'll post a pic and some times in a day or two). But I have found that some plaques and small signs benefit from maybe a small 3d graphics image and engraved text mixed. But it is like everything, quality of design makes the job, and I have seen some real basic vectorized clip are that looked great mixed with text and that can be cut relatively fast. You can get a better idea if you want to download the trial V-Carve Pro software and design a few typical sign and see what the calculated time is. If you didn't want to have to learn the software, I would be willing to put one or two into the program and send you a computer rendering of it and the estimated carve time. Feel free to contact me by private message or email. You would be welcome to come watch mine work, but I know I am a long ways off, I'm sure there would be someone closer. Let me know if I can help... I'm pretty new to all of this but loving it and always like to help someone else.

Roger

whoops, just looked at the map... I'm 385 miles from you... I'll make a video for you LOL
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Eddiem200

Post by Eddiem200 »

Eagle55 i will send you a e-mail.

Also i did not know the software would give you a time ..I will DL it and take a look.

Thanks

Eddiem200

Post by Eddiem200 »

Do you think the basic shark the small one would be ok for this work and is the speed around 6 min for this version or the large ones.
I am looking at this one
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19441

Travel: X: 13" Y: 24" Z: 4.5" would do the sizes i would want?

Eddiem200

Post by Eddiem200 »

Eagle i can not find a e-mall address for you i am PMing