Would you buy this again

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

steveb624

Would you buy this again

Post by steveb624 »

Hello,
New to the forum, I do not have a CNC yet and I'm looking for one. I am looking at getting a General I-Carver (either the 13 x 18 or the 15x20) and the CNC SHARK from Rockler. I am a hobbiest who likes to make cabinets, mirror tops, and items not found at your local sauder store. The General seems a little bit expensive (($4700 for the 15x20) and the bed seems a little small. The Rockler shark has a a 15 x 31 bed for about half the price of the General.

So, I realize that this is going to be a jaded place to ask questions, but if you had to do it all over again, would you buy the SHARK, or pop for a different one? Is the software that comes with the shark adequate for making mirror tops and nice furniture? I am more interested in things that you don't like than the things that you do, although I would like to hear the positives also. I really don't want to make a $2500-$4000 mistake.

Thanks.

Steve

Mike W

Re: Would you buy this again

Post by Mike W »

Just my take, are your real versed on the computer. I'm not so I rely on my wife to take care of that. I feel the learning curve is bigger than we anticipated. Still playing with the artwork, then figuring out what cutting option is best. What is the best cutting tool bit, the router speed etc. We love what it can do but we would have went with the heavy duty one instead because we already had the bits with a half inch shank and quarter inch one can be used also.
Good luck with your research and choice,
Mike

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I have to admit that I don't think I looked high and low for various competitor before I settled on the Shark, but in retrospect I think for the money and for the features I made a good decision and would more than likely go this way again. I have since looked at other brands and can honestly say that I haven't seen anything that makes me feel like... "gosh I should have gotten that one". I guess it could be said that the learning curve is there and maybe it is a little steep, but that is going to be the case for anything of this nature. Of course the better you are with computers the easier it may tend to be. Light experience with graphics or CAD type programs helps also but certainly not necessary. Overall it isn't bad even though I learn new techniques and processes almost every day (based on the needs of newer tasks.. not based on just basic operation). Although I had used the CarveWright machine years ago, I hadn't had any experience on a three axis type machine and had the first carving going within 24 hours, so I don't think its is something that you need tons of experience to ever consider buying. I would say that from what you are saying you are considering the lower end models, which I think are real good, but for me I believe I would have been disappointed or soon to outgrow the smaller models. I chose the HD model and very glad I did for various reason. The larger work area (25x25) the more supported construction etc were big benefits for me as well as the additional software which made it essentially the same price as the Pro Plus model when comparing apples to apples. So after that whole paragraph of mumbling, to answer your question: Yes, I would buy it again.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

The software that comes with the Shark is just about the best there is for the price, Aspire at $1800 is better than V-Carve, and ArtCAM at $8000 is by far about the best there is. So in Bang for the Buck value you get very good software with the Shark.

As for the Shark itself, again you can get better construction and with better comes $$$$$. A top end all steel bed and gantry system will set you back $10,000 and may not include any software..

No matter what CNC you get you're going to have to learn how to create patterns, if you can't draw there are models forsale and freebies..

I would suggest that you look at the Shark Pro HD if you're serious about makeing furniture.. Again you get what you pay for...

steveb624

Post by steveb624 »

Thanks guys!
I appreciate all of the information. None of you seemed unhappy with your CNC, just are trying to prepare me for the difficulty of the software. I am now thinking about the HD model as it looks better constructed. I even drove 60 miles to the nearest Rockler store and saw it run. I was impressed. I downloaded the sample software to play with while contemplating a purchase. Are there any full length tutorials on the software CD? If not, other than this forum, are there another "classes" to view online?
Thanks again for all your help.
Steve

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

There are better tutorials on the program disk, but here's a few to give you an idea.

V-Carve http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... orials.htm

Aspire and V-Carve 6.5 http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... s_tut.html

steveb624

Post by steveb624 »

Jackpot! Thanks for the links.
Steve

TnT Woodworking

Post by TnT Woodworking »

Hi Steve,

I might be the minority here but I would absolutely NOT buy a Shark again. I have had nothing but problems with it since I bought it and Next Wave's tech support was no help at all. After going back and forth with them for months and telling them what the problem was, they wanted me to send them the controller for repair. That was after I told them what the problem was and it wasn't the controller. I ended up buying the parts myself and repairing it, it has worked fine since. I asked them several questions that were never answered and e-mails that went unanswered for long periods of time. So, a $4000 machine that was weeks old, and I had to buy parts for it. Not real good customer service in my book.

I'm not trying to start anything here and I will not reply to the people that will try to defend Next Wave, I justwanted to share my experience with them. I know there are many others out there that have been very happy with their machines and with the customer sevice they have received and that's great, but you did ask the question. ;)

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi TnT,

So what was the problem that you identified and how did you fix it? Someone else may experience the same thing...

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

I'm not sure I would have payed full boat for my shark which I bought barley used for $1500.00. Since then I've spent another $1000.00 on mods. I'm building acoustic guitars, and this little machine is perfect for the job. I don't make signs or carvings with it. A long run time for me is 4-5 minutes with very slow feed rates (5 ipm plunge, 12 ipm run, @ .05" per pass). I end up able to create very fine work with little, or no sanding. If I was to upgrade it would probably be a hand-built from 8020CNC.com.

I would also like to say that the folks on this forum are knowledgeable and always willing to help out. That's worth a lot!

M