Shark pro SD Card

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

momojito

Shark pro SD Card

Post by momojito »

I want to get an extra SD card. Just to have it on hand. I know it has a 1GIG card. Do I have to stick with 1 GIG SD or can I go Larger? Are their any other restrictions when buying another card? Can I use a SD adapter with a mini SD?
Thanks
Bruce

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Shark pro SD Card

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - there's not much sense of going larger than 2Gb. I've not tried a micro SD with adapter, so don't have an answer for you there.

For other aspects of the SD card, specification, etc - this post is useful: http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... rmat#p4776

Hope that helps.

momojito

Post by momojito »

I have some larger SD cards for my camera ( 4 GIG and 16 GIG) Will they work? Are they to large?

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

You can use some sd cards that are 4 gig. What makes them work is the speed of the card. Some cards are faster than others you want the slower cards. The controllers are configured to work with 1-4 gig Cards. the 1 gig will almost always work (unless a subpar manufacture). The 2 gig I would say work 75% of the time and 4 gig are under 50% (meaning they either work or they don’t). The adapter should work if the card will. We have the best luck with the Scandisk version.

You can always purchase it from us.

Tim

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Sounds like you kinda of think like I do much of the time. Want spares, backups, bigger is better, and such. However, I think the 1 gig apparently is big enough for even the biggest of jobs and there is a whole lot more to be thinking about than back up memory cards. Like back up power to keep from fubaring a project in a power failure and the mechanics of getting ideas to VCarve then to the post processor, then Shark etc. I would wait to worry about the SD card until I had an issue that points that direction. Just my opinion and trying to subdue tendencies like I tend to be full of LOL

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

momojito

Post by momojito »

I was just asking because I already have some larger SD cards from my digital camera that I was wondering if they would work. As for backup power supply I have an extra one from an old computer system that I am going to use.
Thanks for the suggestion
Bruce

bobbyj

Post by bobbyj »

What are the benefits of installing an SD card? Does it lessen the requirements of the computer running the Shark? Can you run the Shark without the computer after loading the G-code and starting the run? What??

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Bobbyj,

The SD card is actually part of the Shark setup... its not optional. As far as operation, once you "load" the g-code, it is actually residing in the Shark's SD card and will run semi independent of the computer's control panel program. The control panel is mainly for monitoring the actions of the Shark and for turning it on and off and controlling % of feed rate. The Shark isn't actually getting step by step instructions from the computer as to what moves to make. I'm not sure about the technical answer for can you run the Shark without the computer after loading the G-code and starting the run, but I don't think you would want to. I think it would be like being on a straight-a-way and setting the cruize control on a car and then taking a nap.... you still want to be able to influence the control of the car should the need arise. Can the shark run on its own once started??? I think so, but I would rather have the option to stop it or make changes, which is what the control panel program is. Bruce was talking about having a spare SD card in case something should happen to the original, and if he could use a larger one (not that he needed it, but had it and wanted to know if it would work.)

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Julian Joe

Post by Julian Joe »

I am new to all this so I may not be correct - so this is a statement as well as a question - Re the SD card as a backup device:
I would assume that the G Code is stored on the PC as a file and then downloaded from the PC to the SD card before the start of a run. Therefore, having a backup of the SD card wouldn't necessesarily "save" the G code if it were lost or corrupted on the SD card because it is really stored on the PC's hard drive. Is this correct?

Joe

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

The g-code is stored wherever you stored it when you wrote it out from VCarve - typically on disk or a USB drive - in the form of a .tap file. The SD card in the Shark Control Box is used by the Control Box hardware in the same manner as RAM on your computer.

You cannot access the SD card in the Shark Control Box via Windows Explorer for example, and you don't save the .tap file there. You don't pull the card out of the Shark Control Box, write the file to it from your computer, and then stick it back into the Control Box and load it from there.

When you perform the step - load g-code - you are loading it from the computer onto the hardware in the Control Box - and again the SD card is the RAM for this computational device.