Craft Shows

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

George

Craft Shows

Post by George »

I am considering purchasing a cnc to use at craft shows, has anyone used one for this purpose, and is it worth while ?, of course I realize power must be available at the larger shows. I am thinking mostly the sign market etc. What would be the turn around time for a small carved sign from pc input to completed sign less painting, say with someones name and maybe a street number. Any input would be great. Thanks George

spinningwood

Re: Craft Shows

Post by spinningwood »

George - I belong to a couple woodturning guilds that do demonstrations at lots of places a few of them are craft and art shows. In addition to being a woodturner, I run a cnc router in my shop. The CNC is a LOT noisier and in many ways a lot messier. So, here's my opinion about running a cnc router at a show:

Unless you have woodturners demonstrating in the adjacent booths, whoever is in the adjacent booths is going to hate you if you don't have your cnc router in a soundproof enclosure with dust collection. CNC routers (especially the ones that run routers instead of spindles) are NOISY. They also generate a lot of chips and / or dust depending on what you are machining and how you run it.

Dirty power likely won't hurt the router, but it could easily kill the computer or controller. Power conditioning would be critical (not just a surge protector).

If you have your sign blanks already cut before the show so that you would just vcarve the text (with no flats anywhere) for the name and the number, you could crank out a sign in 5 or 10 minutes with practice. Maybe faster.

CNC routers aren't exactly light. Moving it around introduces the possibility of damaging the unit with each move. Not to mention physical injury to you (or whoever is doing the moving). If you are outdoors, windblown rain that gets under the tent could kill the router / computer and suck the profits right out of your business.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it.

Ed

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

George - Forgot to mention liability insurance. Check on prices and availability for that before you get too serious. Most venues will demand proof of insurance before they will allow any tools to be turned on. That's been my experience anyway.

Ed

George

Post by George »

Thanks Ed for your input, I can see where this would be a problem, I had thought that maybe I could install the cnc in my cargo trailer in a sound proof (somewhat) box with a vac system self contained, although I know I would be limited to the possible shows I could attend, good point on the insurance, I have done shows where I did have to provide insurance and it can become costly as you stated, oh well am semi retired we spend 3 months in Florida but still need to produce income while their, thought this may be possible but maybe not fruitful. Its great to see others prospective on things. best regards George

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

George - Have you played around with the VCarve software yet? They have a demo version available at the vectric site. The preview capabilities are really pretty impressive. You could custom design the sign at the show print out a copy of the preview for the customer. If they buy it, you produce it later in your shop and mail it to them.

All you would need at the show are a laptop, portable printer and some sample signs for people to touch and feel. People get a kick out of watching the software generate the preview (once anyway). You could have an extra monitor hooked up to the computer for the audience to watch as you work your design magic.

Ed

George

Post by George »

Great idea Ed thanks for the input ,I will check out their site now, George

fbrittain

Post by fbrittain »

George, I have not tried this but have considered the Idea. I communicated with a gentelman on the carvewright forum and he said that he paid for the carvewright in one week end at a county fair. He also had a cargo trailer. A shark will cut a sign in 2-d real quick. 10-15 min. also easy to paint if backgroung is left natural color or a pre-coated color. A carvewright takes several times longer because it's designed for carving in 3d and is not necessary for most signs.If you have your design work(except name and address)on your computer and your blanks in several designs already cut, I think you could make money. You will not be unhappy with the shark or the vetric software that comes with it. there is plenty of learning guidance available and by the time you finish the online tutorials you will be a pro.The only reason I haven't tried it is that I'm too lazy to go to the shows and flee markets. Good luck and if I can be of help P.M. me. I have a shark pro. and used to own a carvewright. I would be intersted in knowing how you do. Felix Brittain, Fort Myers Fl.