Extending the z axis from 4.25 in to 7 in

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

joe48234

Extending the z axis from 4.25 in to 7 in

Post by joe48234 »

Hi,
I have sharp pro cnc router. The z axis is limited to approximately 4.25 in. There is a Porsche car in cut3d software that I like to make. The problem I have is the z axis on prosche is 6 inches any suggestions? wood block is lxwxt 6.0x2.5x1.8
Thinking
1) Cut in half 3x2.5x1.8
or
2) Make special top to handle 6x2.5x1.8
Any suggestions
Thanks
Bruno

Eagle55

Re: Extending the z axis from 4.25 in to 7 in

Post by Eagle55 »

I'm gonna shoot from the hip (ie not from experience) but if I had the same situation I would look at "slicing" the model. The way I understand it at this point is that you would basically create two different carves, one for the bottom half and the other for the top half and then align them and glue the two together. This would allow you to use the shark for many quite deep models and not limit you to what ever modification you might make to the machine. Personally, I'm not looking to modify the over all design of the machine anytime in the near future and the concept of "slicing" is a software type solution to a mechanical (limitations) problem that is developed for this exact situation. I haven't used it or even read about it more than just in passing so experience is not talking here, but this is where begin to look to resolve the task at hand.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Joe,

If you look in the help contents in cut 3d, it explains the slicing of the model on the last page. Hope this helps.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

For anyone interested, there is a tutorial on how to setup and machine this project in Cut3D and it does not require slicing.

It can be found here:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... orials.htm

Tim