Shark pro

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

SammyH

Shark pro

Post by SammyH »

I am getting into cnc woodworking and interested in the sharks. I do not have a rockler near me so seeing a actual unit will be difficult. What are your thoughts about the pro versus the carvewright? Where is a good place to get a used model? Any beginner mistakes I can get help to avoid?

tonydude

Re: Shark pro

Post by tonydude »

Where are you located? Maybe someone near you has one. Did you check out the map?
http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=395

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

SammyH

Post by SammyH »

I am in northern Virginia

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Search the topic and I think you will see most of us think the Shark is the more versatile of the two.

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

The Shark is a lot more machine than the carvewright. I think the shark is a great machine to learn on. The HD is the clear choice money wise..

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Sammy,

I never owned the CarveWright - but this thread may be useful to your research - http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

I have both Shark and CarveWright. Got my CarveWright when they first came out the. If you're just wanting to carve small projects in wood and other soft material and not really interested in learning the in's and out's of CNC then go for the CarveWright. It's cheaper and a lot simpler to operate. If you want something that you can keep expanding your boundaries then look to the Shark. The CarveWright has a limited tool database and you have no control over the how the machine carves, with that Shark you are virtually unlimited with the tools you can use and the carving process. The CarveWright is size is 14" wide max and 1" min, 1/4' is the thinnest you can carve and 7" is the shortest. The Shark Pro HD has a 25" x 25" table with no limits other than your ability to hold the work piece in place.

I still use my Carvewright for quick projects but for real work I turn to the Shark..

SammyH

Post by SammyH »

I think the shark is indead what I want. I want to know how it works but not spend alot of time fixing it. So far no luck finding a used one tried here, routerforum, craigslist, local paper, and asking random people on the street. I live in woodbridge, VA and I see some people within a hour or so for me. Hopefully i can go and visit. Other than me carrying around a sign saying "Will work for a Rockler SHARK" any other places i can look? I just do not have the $4k for the hd.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

There is one occasionally here for sale, might have to wait a week or two. Just a few days ago a basic model was here at a ridiculous price. I think it was something like $1500 for shark, computer, and some set up items and misc. If I wasn't dead broke and needing to buy an Aspire upgrade, I would have bought that even though I have a new HD model.

Roger

PS I agree with the comments on the Carvewright. I have one that tore up a belt and was in the middle of upgrade mod. Would love to sell it but will more than likely get it going again and use if for other stuff, but if you want real world CNC, the Shark or something like it is the way to go. Carvewright has too many limitation although it is good for many things.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com