Shark Tank / Dust Cover

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

momojito

Shark Tank / Dust Cover

Post by momojito »

Hi
I have a Shark Pro and want to construct a Shark Tank with a Shop Vac. I have looked at the ones that are posted here on the forum but was wondering what the length width and height would be for the Pro? Can anyone that has built one provide me with plans and measurements? I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks
Bruce

momojito

Re: Shark Tank / Dust Cover

Post by momojito »

Hi
Just putting some new bait on the hook. Thought it might bring in a few replies. I thought others would be interested in building a Shark Tank/Dust Cover?
Thanks Bruce

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

momojito wrote:Hi
Just putting some new bait on the hook. Thought it might bring in a few replies. I thought others would be interested in building a Shark Tank/Dust Cover?
Thanks Bruce
I am
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

Buc

Post by Buc »

Mo,

I made mine, outside dims, 38" long, 38.750 wide, and 24.5"high. Ripped 2 X 6's in half.

The dust is contained and the noise level is greatly reduced. Can't say the dust collector works very well. Poor placement, I guess.

Buc
Attachments
shark cage
shark cage
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

momojito

Post by momojito »

Hi all
I am still working on my Shark Tank. It has just been to hot here in SW Florida. Now I am starting to get motivated in finishing my Shark Tank. I have it 85% completed. I bought a 1 HP Dust Collector that has a 6" "Y" connector inlet. It has a 6" flex hose on one side and the other side is caped off for now. I am thinking about reducing the 6" to 4". I was looking at different hoses and then was wondering if a motor home (RV) flex sewer pipe would work? Any thoughts on a reason not to use this type of flex pipe. They are cheap enough and I could buy one locally at Camping World or Walmart
Thanks
Bruce

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Don't forget to add a lift-up shelf for you computer, your controlbox and all the stuff you are using while carving a project :)

I have found that no matter what I do, dust collectors just do not work for the Shark.
The dust goes everywhere inside the tank.
Instead I open the doors and vac the tank after each project.
Makes for less noise too.
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

I loved the idea of a shark tank so much I built one as well. It really cuts down on the noise and keeps the dust contained. My plexiglas windows on the side start at table level because standing up I can still see the sides. I hooked up a 2hp dust collector on the back using a floor sweep and set it at table height and drilled holes in the front plexiglas at the same level. The front holes were designed so they equaled the area of the back sweep so I didn't bog down my dust collector. My thinking was it should sweep straight back from the table. Well..........to a certain extent is does but the heavy saw dust collects on the sides. Now that I've had it a while I'm going to revise the dust collection and put two ports on the table on either side where most of the saw dust seems to collect. My controller hangs underneath the table in a box I built with a small computer fan to help keep it cool. It's out of the way but the emergency button is right where I need it "just in case". I'll have to download some of the pictures of the many things I've made with mine. After leveling the table I have no complaints about this machines capability.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I've been thinking of building one. My thoughts were to connect a fan on one side to blow as much dust and chips to the other side. That side would be funneled back to a dc connection down low. Not sure if doing it this way would assist the collector in picking up during the cutting process or just be a whirlwind in the case. Anyone tried anything similar?

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

Your router already blows straight down. Then you got the direction of current based on the location of your dust port depending on the design of your box. Add the direction of the current from the fan and you're most likely going to have dust going everywhere and possibly end up with even more collecting on any one of the lead screws. I'd say run it once without any dust collection and see where most of the dust collects and go from there.

My table is oriented so the bottom lead screw motor is in front. I know most of the chips in my box end up on the left side. I'm going to change the location of my air intake ports to the right side just slightly above the cutting table, and my dust collector intake to the mounting table on the left side. If nothing else at least I'll be able to sweep the chips directly into the collection port instead of having to use a separate hose to suck them out.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

thepuchman

Post by thepuchman »

I have a tank design in mind but I just have not worked all of the details out yet. One feature I plan on adding is a snorkle for the router. The Bosch I am using draws a lot of air in through the top and does a great job of blowing the chips off of the work piece. Because of the air flow I want to reduce the amount of dust introduced into the motor when the tank is installed. I do not plan on adding a filter box to the snorkle inlet but it would be simple to do if someone wanted to.