Probe

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

koryak

Probe

Post by koryak »

How does the operator manipulate the router with the probe to "trace" the object ? Is there a 'manual' mode ?

spinningwood

Re: Probe

Post by spinningwood »

If you want to trace an outline or something like that (e.g. edge finding), I'm not aware of any way to do that. You "scan" objects with the probe, you don't trace them. You specify the distances you want scanned in the x and y dimensions with a maximum z defined. You specify these parameters in the scan screen of the control program. The documentation for the probe spells it out.

There is no manual mode. The controller runs the probe back and forth over the object to be scanned based on the parameters you specified.

Ed

koryak

Post by koryak »

In other words if I wish to scan, say, a dish (plate) the probe software would store the 3D map after I specify the x-Y limits and the z limit ??

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

You will end up with an "STL" file that you will need to import into a "3D capable" software package for manipulation and / or toolpath generation. I use and highly recommend Aspire by Vectric, but there are other alternatives.

Make sure you read the probe instructions and understand the instructions before you start running the probe.

Probe Installation Instructions:

http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... Manual.pdf

Probe Operating Instructions:

http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... Manual.pdf

You should also be aware that really high quality scans take a really loooooooonnnnnnnng time to complete. Plan accordingly.

Good Luck!

Ed

koryak

Post by koryak »

Thank you Ed:

I am planning on dedicating it solely to carving a chair seat for a chair I make. I don't care of the run takes a long time. Path is 18 x 18 (max) and z=1" max.

Burt

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Burt - What version of the control program are you running? Some of the earlier versions have a 14" scan limit (the limit of the original shark). If you get a message about scan limits you will need to upgrade the control program.

I'm getting ready to try a new pre-release version (1.4.0.17) of the control program tonight that has the limits removed. Tim hasn't officially released it yet. I'll report back on how it works.

Ed

koryak

Post by koryak »

Ed:

Haven't bought unit yet. Intending to dedicate to my chair seats when I am confident it will do the job.
Thanks.
Burt

Teir

Post by Teir »

Burt,

I just posted a scan result in the projects section. It will give you an idea what the probe can do.

If you have any questions...pm me..

Teir

koryak

Post by koryak »

and how would I access the "projects" section ? !!!

Bob

Post by Bob »

"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)