Depth of cut

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

savageshep

Depth of cut

Post by savageshep »

I was going to plane down a 2.25 inch thick butcher block that i glued up. Had the 0-0-0 set at the center of the board. Ran the tool path and the router went down one inch instead of the 1/16th (.0625) inch i had it set for . reset 0-0-0 and removed the board, reloaded the toolpath and watched it , with the router off, and it did it again. I redid the tool path, reset everything, and did it again (without the board) and it did it again. When i set 0-0-0 it is at 2.25 inches above the table. When i e stop the toolpath and hit go to 0-0-0 the bit in the router is at 1.25" above the table. What am i doing wrong or what is happening. Did the same thing the day before and everything worked fine. Please help. Thanks, Bruce
Shep

pjmayer

Re: Depth of cut

Post by pjmayer »

Bruce,

It sounds like the router is trying to go up one inch but is going down instead. One of your first program lines is probably a fast move up one inch for clearance. You should see a line in the program that reads something like:

G01 X0.0000 Y0.0000 Z1.0000

I think your Shark is going the wrong way because the direction wire has shaken loose between the z-axis motor and the control board. I would check the pins in that cheap white plastic connector. We had a similar problem when we moved our Shark to a different bench in our shop. I used a small screwdriver to push each pin into the connector to make sure it was engaged fully. That solved the problem for us, but we put a few holes in the table top before figuring it out.

PJ

savageshep

Re: Depth of cut

Post by savageshep »

Thanks pj. I did just move it ealier in the weekend. I will check that
Shep