End mill size

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cws

End mill size

Post by cws »

I have just purchased a cnc shark pro, so I have alot of questions for someone who would like to help out a rookie. What is the max. dia. end mill I can use in my colt router and not bog down or damage it. I have been using a 1/4" but am wondering if I can use larger dia. to clear an area. Also what is the depth of cut that is safe to use with 1/4" mill or larger.

Thanks in advance
Curt

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: End mill size

Post by jeb2cav »

I have used a 1/2" with the Colt, but only with a depth of cut at 1/8 or less - and on mdf (to trim a scarf table). A general rule of thumb with end mills is to start out with a depth of cut not greater than 1/2 the diameter of the end mill. You can certainly go more if you slow things down, or if the material enables that.

A good post on speed and chip loads and rpms is http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1695

cws

Post by cws »

Thanks Joe Very helpful

Curt

BillK

Post by BillK »

I have used a 3/4" dia router bit with a 1/4" shank in the Colt at speed number 2 and cutting only .035 deep to level the face of a glued up panel with no problem.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

lockeb

Post by lockeb »

I have yet to unpack the Shark Mako. I am currently moving through the tuorials. Could someone recommend the best mill end bits. Not nervous about using the Shark, just got to finish my shop doors.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I just bought and tried an 1 1/2 inch mortise bit for surfacing boards. Have to ramp it in but ran it on number 2, and it worked great. Was a huge improvement in cutting down my time to plane a board.