Dodgy `Y axis Post # 1

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jcatcmc

Dodgy `Y axis Post # 1

Post by jcatcmc »

Hello All, Been having a few Shark Pro problems of late so will tackle them one post at a time. Just starting some serious work with it some 15 months after purchase ( probably 10-12 hours on it )noticed some long flutes really rough at one end also unit would stall on high speed jog, a bit of looking revealed a 5/32" bend in the `Y` axis feed screw 8" out from the drive motor. Removed it and managed to straighten it with help of lathe and dial guage , still a bit wonky , end of drive shaft on motor also bent same deal got it straight in lathe. All was well until half way through finishing a bowl cut in a bedhead, the coupling screw come loose and lost drive in`Y`. In my panic to shut it down lost all co ordinates , a few sleepless hours figuring how to salvage the project came with making ball nose stylus for router and using feeler guages in the bowl shape, happy to say it turned out near perfect except fo a 3/16" hole where it originally stopped driving . How the screw was bent in the first place I will never know as I seem to recall that the base was assembled when I first took delivery.On intricate jobs I think I might make up some adjustable guage rods from router bit to gantry frame on `x` axis and to a block bolted on to the table for `y` axis so I can take it back to `000.` manually

Regards to all, jcatcmc