Router Runout

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jcatcmc

Router Runout

Post by jcatcmc »

Hello forumers, I have been thinking about this post for a few days but I thought it might be an idea to see if any body else has had problems , checked the topic on the forum and geez it reads like a telephone book .I have had suspicions of the router for a while,it was too noisy, out of balance sort of thing,when you had a 60 degree cutter in it and fingered the collet nut around to pick up a reference point it scribed a small circle. It was only when I thought my vee grooves were too wide for the cut depth I got to looking into it. Out with the dial guage I couldn`t believe it 018" thou out ( yes thats nearly half a mm ) I still can`t figure out how my previous jobs turned out so good. As I have been involved with Bosch ( German ) die grinders for over 30 years maybe I was expecting too much from the Colt . Pulling the unit to bits and mounting it between centers with a dial guage revealed nothing. I thought the collet to be too short and the bore behind the collet was .257 thou Dia. At this stage a call to the national Bosch outlet was in order but I could of been talking lunch orders for all the guy knew. I made up a mandrel .257" one end .250" the other and mounted it in the shaft and then chucked it in the lathe with the result about .002 thou runout at the commutator bearing. This proved the problem. I then bored out the armature shaft behind the collet to 5/16 dia and pressed in a 20mm long sleeve 1/2 thou up on .250 As I use CMT bits the bit diameters are consistent. The only thing I regret is not taking a cut over the collet taper while I had it set up , but hey, I got my runout down to 003 thou. so I considered it a whorthwhile project. Something else good come out of it I now don`t need 3 hands to insert and tighten my bits.

Regards to all, jcatcmc

BillK

Re: Router Runout

Post by BillK »

You can get it better than .003. Here's what I did.

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=785
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver