Keyhole bits for sliding covers

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jicky171

Keyhole bits for sliding covers

Post by jicky171 »

I am relatively new to using my machine, but have made a few nice cribbage boards already. Currently, I unplug the route from the control box and plug it into the wall to run the router and control the motion of the machine when I cut the slots in the back of the board for the peg storage space cover . Is there a way to program a toolpath that would plunge the keyhole bit into the existing slot and then jog into the sidewall carving a slot for sliding in the cover? Gcode looks like it would be simple enough to program, is there a reference that I could use to write code instead of using vectric software or is there a program that would record the motion of the machine and play it back (like recording a macro in Excel)?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions
Rick

FixitMike

Re: Keyhole bits for sliding covers

Post by FixitMike »

You can draw a line that represents the path of the center of the cutter, then do a profile cut along the line at the depth you want the cutter to travel. Just be sure the pass depth for the cutter is equal to or greater than the depth you want it to cut, so it does the cut in a single pass.

The attached file shows an example.
slotpath.crv
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
In the resulting .tap file, the G00 and G01 codes can be interpreted as "Go to:". Use a text editor to look at the .tap file.

There is a keyhole toolpath creator in the Gadgets menu. But it is for a conventional keyhole.

Note also, the V-Carve preview does not accurately show a cut made by an undercut bit.

Eagle55

Re: Keyhole bits for sliding covers

Post by Eagle55 »

I'm not a cribbage board maker, but do I understand that what is desired is a keyhole like slot that is straight? If so you could use the keyhole gadget and just make a "long" keyhole path. Although the gadget is designed for typical keyhole used in hanging items on nails or screws, I don't really see any reason you couldn't make a abnormally long slot with the keyhole bit. I have seen routines that cut a little ways and then backed up to clean the slot and cut some more. I haven't really found this to be necessary with 1/2" or 3/4" slots and don't think it would be for other lengths either. My experience has shown that going slow enough creates a fine enough chip that they are blown out of the hole by the router motor's operation. Again, I'm not sure I understand the desired path of the slot, but I would even wonder if it would be possible to have a curved vector that the keyhole path would follow. I may try a test program to see if that will work.

Roger

PS ~ I tried that in VCarve and it wouldn't work to have a curved slot because the toolpath gadget is based on a selected circular vector not a straight or curved vector, however you could specify a long straight keyhole.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com