a bits for metal or granite

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jicky171

a bits for metal or granite

Post by jicky171 »

Are there any bits that would be better for carving in metal? I know that Al is fine for some, but are copper or brass soft enough to cut? On a related note, could I carve into granite with the right bit/settings?

Thanks,
Rick

Eagle55

Re: a bits for metal or granite

Post by Eagle55 »

I'm gonna speak up without experience and say that personally I wouldn't want to cut in granite. I am not sure but think I have seen where some of the granite cutting factories use a water or water based lubricant to cool everything down. That would not work with our situation. To cut it dry as a stone grinder would do, I am guessing that you could adjust the feed rates and rpm down to where you could do it but there would be a horrific amount of very abrasive dust created. All health issues aside, I think that would be detrimental to bearings, rails etc to say nothing of the router. I'm guessing someone out there has done it and can add more "real" information to go by, but "As for me and my Shark" I'm gonna stick to wood and Corian (and if the need arises might try aluminum)

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com