New bed on an old shark pro

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Wolffie1

Re: New bed on an old shark pro

Post by Wolffie1 »

With a multitrack bed, you can set the spoilboard to any size you need and still clamp your material as well, even if they are only small pieces.
Plus, where I live, with sometimes 97+ % humidity, MDF does not stay flat for long and screws don't hold very well.
Cheers
Wolffie

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

On the larger Sharks, I feel that a single 3/4 layer of anything is going to have a little bounce to it.
Adding a layer of wood or composite material slats to the top of the aluminum strengthens the table and still lets you have a secure clamping track system underneath the 3/4 upper layer of wood. If you use slats, they are individually replaceable and you can also screw into them should you need to.

I adjusted my (modified) machine so the typical bits I use will not reach the aluminum table top at full down Z, so the worst that can happen is that I route down into the slats and have to replace one. (unless a bit comes loose in the collet.) If I am doing through cuts, I will use a thin sacrificial layer on top of the planed slat surface to protect it.

For me, "aluminum + slats" is a good compromise, as the gaps for the fasteners are a little over 1/4 inch wide every 3 inches, which does not affect the ability to clamp various shapes. The addition of the slats bridging the sections strengthens the table as well. So the combination of the slats on the aluminum table top work together quite well. I have tried several variations on tops over the years and finally arrived at something that is strong, versatile, and can be repaired in sections.
Attachments
aluminum top with 3/4 oak bridging sections
aluminum top with 3/4 oak bridging sections

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Here is a photo of my three-slot top before I mounted it on my Shark. It also needed a little radius on the left and right bottom edges to sit down flush in the angle iron rails. It was cut on the MultiCam 3000 I have access to at work, and we actually used it there on the vacuum top table when I had smaller hardwood pieces to cut that would not suck down flat on the vacuum table itself. I had to turn off the dust boot of the Multicam so it wouldn't collide and knock the t-slot clamps off or over.
ThreeSlotMDF.jpg

CountryWoodCrafts

Re: New bed on an old shark plus pro extended

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

Another Monster in the process of being altered . . . More pictures to come and will probably do the oak strips like rungemach . .
DSCF3002.JPG
DSCF3004.JPG

baby15

Post by baby15 »

any one upgrade there beds an the y travel on there hd. like a longer bed to at least 48 to 52 inch. what was the cost an where did you get the parts penwright15@gmail.com

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I finally ordered the T-track from Rockler to upgrade the bed on my Pro. Should be here tomorrow. I plan on taking my time to make sure it is true to the router/gantry plane before tightening it all down. I have enjoyed the added clamping and jig capability with the T-Track on the HD 2.0 at work so much my home Pro hasn't gotten much use lately. I added the HDPE slats between the T-Track pieces on the HD 2.0 to link them all together. I also bolted a piece of 2x2 steel angle onto the back of the gantry as it was flexing considerably with the weight of the PC router. Both add-ons made a huge improvement. NWA themselves should be making these kind if upgrades on these machines IMO. The Gantry on my Pro does not appear to be much different than the gantry on the HD 2.0. The heavier router and cutting loads that the HD 2.0 is advertised to be capable of suggest it SHOULD be better engineered.

stephenb79

Post by stephenb79 »

I replaced the MDF with A/C oak. On top of that I added 1/4" luan.(glued) Then I milled it flat with the largest bit I had. I use no t slots. Instead I either cut my stock slightly larger or look at my tool paths to where I can safely countersink a screw through the stock and into the bed. The heck with clamps!