touch plate

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

EdThorne

Re: touch plate

Post by EdThorne »

4DThinker wrote:Ed, I found the same problem as I did the first test cut today on an HD 2.0. The dust boot was useless using the V-bit that came with the machine, and my router isn't even all the way down in the clamp. I left about 1/2" of the exposed cylinder showing.

Here's an idea for NextWave: Instead of a fixed position how about using longer bolts and a spring mount configuration? The bolts would be fixed and tight, but the boot would be able to slide up and down on them. As it hit the top of the surface the back pressure would slide it up on the bolts. Springs may not even be needed, although there would still need to be a way to remove the boot completely for changing bits.
I like your idea 4D. I like the springs. The brush could be attached to a magnetic boot for qucick removal. The mating piece could be attached as you suggest.

They could also shorten the brush so that the bristles don't stick out so far in the y-axis direction. They would need to route the vacuum to the shortened cavity but this isn't too difficult. The brush cavity needs only cover the area around the bit. This approach would keep better vacuum contact even on smaller pieces.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I have used an acrylic dust collector that someone on the forum made. there was no type of soft material like the brush between it and the board so you had to have a sufficient gap to keep it from hitting. I used it with mdf and other types of wood with no issues. It wasn't as easy to put on and take off and I cracked it during the removal. That is why I got this boot. I had alot of wood chip on my table so I gave it a try and it seemed to work very well with my vacuum cleaner, without touching the table. When I got it down to the table level, it wanted to drag more stuff than pick up. I think I prefer mine being a little higher. I would like it to collect all of the chips but I am more concerned with the fine dust thrown out with stuff like mdf. That stuff hangs in the air long enough and is light enough that the shop vac appears to suck all of it away.

If you are having issues with the bit being too long and you want the brushes lower, you could get you another skirt that is longer, thinner and more flexible than the one supplied and use both skirts. That might help your problem.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Milo,

Those are excellent observations and ideas. I also noticed the dragging when the bristles are too low so a gap seems to be better. I like the alternative skirt. Maybe I can use the CNC to fabricate one. Sounds like a good project.

Regards,
Ed

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Milo,

Those are excellent observations and ideas. I also noticed the dragging when the bristles are too low so a gap seems to be better. I like the alternative skirt. Maybe I can use the CNC to fabricate one. Sounds like a good project.

Regards,
Ed

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Finally got to try everything tonight. I see what you guys are talking about. With a spiral bit, the boot had a pretty decent gap and wasn't getting most of the chips. The other thing is that it is hard to use the touch plate with the boot on but it was set too low to stick it on after zeroing. The boot did work well with my vbits. The jury is still out on whether I like the boot or not but I guess it is better than nothing. As far as the touch plate, I hate all the stretching to click the computer while setting it in place but overall, I am very pleased. No more second guessing and it worked perfectly. For me it was definitely money well spent.