touch plate cable

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

touch plate cable

Post by milo30 »

Anyone had problems with the supplied cable for the touch plate? I finally got to use mine and like it except the cable isn't holding up well. The wire for the magnet broke and the main connector keeps coming lose from the prong that you put in the plate. It lasted 2 days before it broke. I don't want to spend $8 to keep replacing it as I don't think it is going to hold up well. Anyone know of another place that carries one a little heavier duty? If I make my own cable, will using thicker wires affect the reading at all? I want a straight wire. That coiled wired makes it want to yank the playe off the table.

4DThinker

Re: touch plate cable

Post by 4DThinker »

I haven't had any problems with the touch plate, and am using one with my personal Shark as well as one with a Shark we now have at the University I teach at.

As for making the cable, thicker wire should be no problem. All it needs to do is close a circuit when the bit touches the plate. So long as you have good connections within the plug, at the plate end, and to the magnet you'll be fine.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

It is a great time saver for me. Once I got used to it and I can pop bits in and out in a hurray....probably is the problem. I get moving too fast and not as gently with the wires as I should be but those coils are catching on everything. I'd prefer mking my own with a straight wire or even a retractable wire. Now that I have the touchplate, I will never go back to the old way.

thanks for the info

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

You are right the the coiled cable will snag on any edge it crosses between the controller and the plate. I'm in the habit of simply reach out to roughly the center of it's length and lifting the cable as I put the plate onto the table. I've generally picked up the plate and magnet together in my lead hand. Once the plate is in position I can usually set the cable down without it springing the plate back. Attach the magnet then go.