Getting more Z

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

spinningwood

Getting more Z

Post by spinningwood »

While the Shark Pro is extremely versatile, with 3D carving there are times when I find myself wanting a little more Z. Any chance you might offer an option / upgrade that would allow a couple more inches of Z?

Ed McDonnell

PCDavis

Re: Getting more Z

Post by PCDavis »

Depending on the software that you have you may need to upgrade to Vectric's Aspire. Aspire has a feature that allows a user to "layer" a project and glue a stackup together. I have not used it, but the feature is there and if you go to the Vectric site you can find a demo in the "product features section".

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi PCDavis - I already use Aspire and love it. Slicing and stacking won't meet my needs. I'm a woodturner and I am using the Shark to embellish my wooturnings with carvings and negative space enhancements. More Z would allow me to work on larger turnings. Cutting turnings apart and regluing them in odd shapes can be interesting, but the things I want to carve would not benefit from it.

Ed McDonnell

Wilem the Fixer

Post by Wilem the Fixer »

HI
I have found a way to increase the Z height by making a extention piece which will allow me to cut 185mm high ???????. Am about to test it in the weeks to come. Using a router to accommmadate this, Makita 3707 at 27000 RPM. Must admit this trimmer is quiet compared to the bosch Pro running at 33000 RPM, Will look into this next few days as I'm away on holidays for a week. We cannot get the Colt or any other Router with variable speed here.
Last edited by Wilem the Fixer on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au

JamesEinolf

Post by JamesEinolf »

These remarks pertain to the Shark Pro. I don't know if they apply to the standard Shark, but my guess is that they do.

If you look at the way the Shark is constructed, there are 4 1/2"x1/2"x2" (approx) pieces that attach the upper portion to the lower. It's a simple matter to make longer versions of these pieces. I used aluminum bar stock - even used the Shark to precisely drill the necessary holes. Once you replace the original pieces with the longer ones, you've got more Z to work with. You're limited by the travel of the router in its carriage (approx 90mm) and the length of your bit. There are a lot of issues to deal with concerning stepover height and such, and there may be some loss of accuracy due to the longer arm that you've created, but I've found the results to be acceptable.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

There are 2 quick/easy ways to get more height in the Z without having to modify the machine.
One is you can loosen the Router clamp and slide it up to give you some more height.
The second is you could move the side gantry up one notch with the 12 bolts on the side.
You would only have 8 bolts holding it but it should work well for light cutting.

Thanks

Tim

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

I fabricated new corner brackets similar to what Tim and James suggested.

My original corner pieces were 3/4 x 3/4 inch. My new corner pieces are 3/4 thick plate by 3" at the lower wide point by about 5" high.
This allows the gantry to move up the equivalent of two holes ( in one hole increments) while still using all 3 fasteners.
The bracket was extended to the side and extra fasteners put in for additional strength.
corner brackets to increase z height
corner brackets to increase z height