Lubricate Y axis

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

basil135

Lubricate Y axis

Post by basil135 »

Hi all, I am the new guy... :D

Had my Pro for about 4 months now, and am having a wonderful time with it & making lots of saw dust. :shock: Well, at least the Mrs knows where to find me now...

Anyways, I like to keep my Shark clean, and give it a nice lube up with the silicone spray, every week or so.

However, I am having difficulties getting into the Y axis screw thread. There just simply doesn't appear to be enough room for me to get my hands in, let alone the can of spray.

So, any ideas on just HOW I can do it effectively?

Great forum, and I look forward to spending some quality time here.

Cheers,

Basil

milo30

Re: Lubricate Y axis

Post by milo30 »

I do it with the straw on the can to extend the reach.

basil135

Post by basil135 »

Hi Milo.

Yes, that is how I am currently doing it, but I find that the lube seems to go everywhere.

What I am most concerned about, is that I am not getting enough lube on to the right places.

From what I have read around various forums, the lubrication interval seems be vary between 12 to 24 hours of machine use. Using a good quality silicone lube, I can see the 12 hour mark being reached, but would be skeptical about pushing it out much further.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Try creating a shephard's crook on a long stick. Rag chunk in crook - with lubricant, hold against lead screw, jog y axis.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I drape a shop towel over the left side of the table, spray in from the right side then switch it and spray from the left (using the straw). Afterward I use a piece of dowel rod and the shop towel to swipe out the bottom of the table.
My cleaning tip for the day. :lol:
Karen

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If you have a t-track top, one or two sections near the center can be loosened and slid off to reveal the threads. If you have an MDF top it is four wood screws to take off, and the same four to put it back on.

basil135

Post by basil135 »

Thanks for the cleaning tips... ;)

4DThinker - I have the t-track, but have never investigated how it all fits together. This seems like the best way to maybe give it a proper clean & lube, once a month or so, and doing it with the straw on the can in between times.

Can you give me any more info on how the track loosens?

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Underneath the front and back edges there should be bolts/nuts accessible going through a plastic bar from each section of track. The other end of the bolts are in the t-tracks on the bottom of the sections. Loosen the front and back nuts for a sections of track and with a little work it should slide forward/backward off the bolt heads. Reverse to put the section back.

basil135

Post by basil135 »

Thanks for that.

I will have a look when I get home, and might have a go this weekend.

Cheers.