New owner - My first CNC - Some questions

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

code3smith

New owner - My first CNC - Some questions

Post by code3smith »

Hello everyone! I have been lurking for awhile ever since I was interested in an older Shark Pro for sale. I am happy to say I pulled the trigger this weekend. It was an INCREDIBLE deal I could not pass up. I am hoping to get things up and running this week. Picture in my garage attached. A few questions.

1. Is the parallel port perfectly fine for communications, or should I use an adapter to convert to USB?
2. Being an older model, are there any changes that I should make right away such as additional bracing?
3. The owner did not purchase any software. Should I attempt using free software first, or just get Vectric software off the bat? If so, which software?
4. The unit was already wired for a 4th axis. Any recommendations for the hardware to purchase for it?
5. Anything I should do right away before I use it? It has been sitting for awhile. Thinking along the lines of adjustment or maintenance.

Any help would be appreciated. I am really looking forward to working with the machine on a daily basis.

Brandon
Attachments
shark.jpg

tonydude

Re: New owner - My first CNC - Some questions

Post by tonydude »

Go to Vectric.com for demos on there products. Vcarve pro is very good, if you want to do modeling get aspire. There is also a Vectric forum. www.vectric.com/ forum watch the videos and tutorials on support.vectric.com

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Based on the picture that you posted , i would check with NWA to be sure that the machine you bought is a shark, rather than a machine of similar construction.
While the construction is very shark like, some of the details seem unusual to me. In particular, I would check to see what is inside your control box, as that may affect the PC control panel and post processor you would use.

code3smith

Post by code3smith »

Thank you, I will do that right away. What components would positively identify it?

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

I would send a picture of the machine itself and one of the front and back face of the control box.

If it is not an NWA product you will need to open the control box to see what is in there, in order to figure out how to drive it.

code3smith

Post by code3smith »

Will do. I appreciate the response, as unfortunate as it may be :( The seller was not the original owner, so I only had information that he was told about the unit. The one speck of good news is that he showed me work that he had done on the machine, so I know it is capable.

Nextwavesupport

Post by Nextwavesupport »

Good Morning,
I work in technical support at Next Wave Automation and I have read thru your posts and also looked at the picture you attached with your first one. I wanted to make a comment to let you know that the post made by rungemach, is correct in their assessment of the machine. Unfortunately the machine you purchased is not a product of NWA. It looks very similar to our 13x24 CNC Shark but is indeed made by someone else.

NWA Tech Support