Roughin rookie

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

stephenb79

Roughin rookie

Post by stephenb79 »

I'm uncertain about roughing tool paths. Recently I ran the 3d european mount on a sign for a customer and observed how my .125 endmill overtraveled into the antlers instead of climbing up and over. The severity of it was not overwelming with credit going to my dremel tool for fixes but could I have avoided this with simple Max depth modification? As mentioned before, My rougher was an 1/8" endmill and finish was a 1/4" ball end. Figured I'd throw a line out before I experiment on any more pieces.

Buc

Re: Roughin rookie

Post by Buc »

Try the .250" ball end for both ruff and finish. If you like the looks, get yourself and .125" ball end for finish, you should like it even better.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Eagle55

Re: Roughin rookie

Post by Eagle55 »

I agree with Buc. However that measurement (amount of material left by the roughing pass is adjustable. One thing I might wonder about is if you specified the end mill that you used or if maybe it was a round nose in the program and a end mill that you actually used. I would have calculated the tool geometry for the wrong tool in that later case. I forget what the name of the measurement that is what amount of material left by the roughing tool for the finishing tool to remove but I know it is a specification that you can set. I have always used the default setting and never had a problem.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com