My CNC Shark Pro in Australia

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Wilem the Fixer

My CNC Shark Pro in Australia

Post by Wilem the Fixer »

After replacing the MDF top with 19mm Ply, I milled 3 grooves to accept Progrips turned upside down to act as clamps.( works well) Also milled grooves every 50mm to allow packers to be placed under job to keep job from flexing when cutting.
Replaced the Bosch Trimmer with a Makita ( added a sleeve to hold as it was a different Diameter) which runs at 27000RPM and is much quieter so the neighbors can bearly hear it running and I don't need ear muffs except for roughing toolpath.

Phil
http://www.wilemthefixer.com.au
Attachments
CNC Shark 1.JPG
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au

spinningwood

Re: My CNC Shark Pro in Australia

Post by spinningwood »

Looks good Phil. I'm trying to work out a way to hold round pieces that will allow me to remove them from the table and later return them positioned exactly the same for subsequent machining. Your setup wouldn't work for me, but it gave me a couple ideas that may work. Thanks for posting.

Ed McDonnell

Wilem the Fixer

well I hope you succeed because I have the same problem with engraving the bottom of bowls.
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au

Wilem the Fixer

Looking at increasing the usable height by making extentions on the sides and lifting the whole head frame up about 90mm by making a L shaped bracket with matching holes to bolt to existing sides and lower holes to bolt to where the existing sides were bolted. So my extention would be 165mm high x 152 wide at the bottom x 38 thick recessed to fit back in Alum and 134 wide at top x 19mm thick to fit between Alum with 12 holes and using longer bolts to replace existing (at bottom) and using the existing bolts to screw the extention to existng holes in sides. Do you get what i mean???
This means I can still cut down at table height as well as a total cutting height of about 185mm
Anybody done this yet and any drawbacks.
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Phil - I've thought about the same thing with a slightly different approach. I was considering just machining new gantry sides that were 3 to 4 inches taller (75mm to 100mm in Oz Speak). This would eliminate the extra set of mechanical connections (and possible flex points) that would be involved with an extension type solution.

Although 3 to 4 inches doesn't seem like a lot to add, I am unsure of the additional stress that may be placed on the gantry and the y guides by the additional leverage. Getting a coulple extra inches of z and losing a lot of accuracy in carving would not be an acceptable trade off for me. While I could make the gantry itself extremely stiff, it's the possibility of flex in the Y guide bars that concerns me.

Ed

Wilem the Fixer

Hi ED,
Thanks for that reply ED, I really don't see what extra stress would be placed on the Y bars as it is only lifting the gantry up 3" in your real terms ( and what an extra 50 grams or so)?????. The accuracy of the M/C was extremly disappointing to start with. The X axis was .5mm out left to right and Y axis was 2.5mm front to back before me putting a new top on and machining grooves to accept my progrip glamps which have made it within .2mm flatness. Will be making this height ajustment in 2 weeks as I'm away on holiday for 5 days and after I fix my Y clicking problem at the back of M/C. Will let you know the outcome.
Regards Phil
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Phil - I look forward to hearing how you make out with the modification. It wasn't the extra weight I was thinking about but rather the levering effect of having the lateral cutting stress applied at a point 3 inches further out from the attachment point at the y guide. Think of the old plumbers trick of putting a pipe on the wrench handle to break loose a stuck joint. Three extra inches on the handle translates into a lot of extra force.

I'm not sure if it really would be an issue here, but it's something that came to mind.

Ed

Wilem the Fixer

Got the point now.
Will let you know in a couple of weeks.
Wilem the Fixer
Phil
www.wilemthefixer.com.au