painting drag lines in granite

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fred1030

painting drag lines in granite

Post by fred1030 »

Can anyone give some ideas on how to paint or otherwise make the drag lines in granite or corian stand out. I am almost finished with a 6 hour gut with my diamond drag bit on a piece of granite and would like to know how others finish their work. Also I did a test cut on a piece of corian with the diamond bit and even though I will most likely us regular cutting bits on the corian I would still like to know how others finish their work when using these materials.

Eagle55

Re: painting drag lines in granite

Post by Eagle55 »

Hi Fred,
I guess my lack of experience with granite or drag kind of excludes me from a quality answer but I will give some direction based on my experience with cutting Corian (lots of it) and hope that might help. I use the "dob and squeegee" method typically using oil base enamels when possible or acrylic enamel otherwise. I dob the paint in the engraving and then squeegee the excess off the surface, let it dry then sand or polish the surface followed by washing out the sand dust with a toothbrush and warm water. With granite drag lines I'm gonna guess that the same or similar method would work with maybe polishing the paint off the surface rather than sanding. After the squeegee I also often use a mineral spirits dampened paper towel. I think it would be worth a try to see what methodight work for you. All of this based on the assumption that the granite surface is polished to a gloss.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

PeteD

Re: painting drag lines in granite

Post by PeteD »

On corian after cutting the project I paint letting the paint get on the top surface also then when good and dry I sand with 120 grit sandpaper. Then blow off with compressed air. This leaves very nice edges on the engravings. I do the same with wood projects also.