Chatter

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fireresq

Chatter

Post by fireresq »

Im fairly new to my Shark Pro. Ive created some great projects, but have noticed lately that im getting a lot of chatter when using a vbit. I slowed the feed rate down from 100 to 60 and am still getting some but chatter... any suggestions or fixes?

Thanks!
Dion

4DThinker

Re: Chatter

Post by 4DThinker »

The dilemma with v-bits is that there is a difference in how fast the point moves compared to the outer edge. When perfectly sharp and removing wood efficiently they can work well, but once they start to get dull the chatter gets worse and on a machine with a little play (like most Pros have) that can turn into movement up and down of the bit. Keep your bit sharp, your bites small, and you can minimize the chatter. When I have something critical to VCarve I simply add in the cost of a new bit and get a new one to use.

fireresq

Post by fireresq »

Thanks for the tip, I just got a couple new bits and re-ran the job. It came out flawless! The bit that I used the first time only had a couple hours on it. Spending the $22 on a new bit beats the hours of sanding! Theres still some to do, but not nearly as much..

Dion

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Glad you got some good results. Newish bits that have been cutting hardwoods with some minerals in them can dull more in two hours than an old bit cutting pine for a few years.

fireresq

Post by fireresq »

A memorial silhouette of a friends dog and his favorite toy
A memorial silhouette of a friends dog and his favorite toy