Mach 3 Compatible?

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Djkaukl

Mach 3 Compatible?

Post by Djkaukl »

Is it possible to run Mach 3 on the Pro?

GARYR6

Re: Mach 3 Compatible?

Post by GARYR6 »

NO, Don't think that it is possible. I believe the response is"you get easy of use, you give up greater control."

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Yes it will work with the CNC shark however there are some negative points associated with.

First is the Mach 3 costs $175 for the full version there is a trial version but it limits to 2000 lines of code which the carve generate significantly more code than that for even a basic drawing.

The CNC shark control panel downloads the program to the SD card on the CNC Sharks hardware controller, the controller then runs off the SD card taking the load off the computer. Mach 3 uses a direct communication to the machine and constantly gives the machine individual movement commands through the whole program so the download capability to the SD card is not used. This runs the possibility if the computer becomes overloaded by running other applications or gets interrupted for instance via download or update that can cause you to ruin your project.

Mach 3 was created to work through parallel port and has been somewhat juryrigged now to work with the USB interface. Next wave automation does not support this product sort requires the person to spend some time learning how to set it up correctly. The CNCShark set of parameters are 1600 steps per inch and 16 acceleration for each axis. You have to use the plug-in for the NCpod on the Mach 3 website this can have some tricky set up parameters so consult the Mach 3 forum.

With all that being said Mach 3 is a nice product that has a lot of extra bells and whistles I would say 99% would not get much additional out of it than what's provided for in the CNCShark basic control panel.

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

Sorry but I disagree. I have been using Mach 3 for almost a year now with great success. It gives me the extra control that I want over the shark. I don't use the post processor on the Vetric software any longer since it always set the cut speed too slow. Only change that Mach 3 needs fixing is the jog controls are reversed and you need to set the z axis to reversed during setup. Any Shark owner needs to search the internet for NcPod and xylotex these are the control boards used in the Shark so you can have the information you need for future reference and additions of stops including Emergency stops. Really like my Shark Pro just trying to figure out how to make money with it!!!
Doc

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

Just hooked up the touch probe and installed the Shark software. It wanted to install new usb drivers and update the rom. After the update it will not talk to my Mach3 software. Not a good sign since this means the driver is not Windows API compliant. This is just not acceptable.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The Shark Pro Plus does not use the same control boards as the other Sharks. As a note.
As for using the probe software and mach 3, the problem might not have anything to do with the drivers and might be an issue with firmware update to work with the probe. are you saying that you can use the cnc shark software but not the mach 3 anymore?

Thanks

Tim

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

Now have my shark pro working with Mach 3. I had to order a smooth stepper serial interface which plugs into the xylotex driver board in the shark enclosure. Now I can just plug in which serial board I want to use and no longer need to wait for shark upgrades etc. Ya Hoo the best of both worlds
Doc

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

Tim;
The problem was with the update software for the shark pro serial controller. The updated software would not work with the Mach 3 shark drivers like in the earlier versions. I have solved my problem by installing a smooth stepper serial interface from the Mach 3 site and now my shark pro is working well with my own personal updates -- ie. changed out the motor to driver board connectors, soldered the motor connections directly from the Xylotex driver board to the new connectors and finally reseated the squeeze connectors going to the DB25 pin connector. These loose connections caused me more grief than you can imagine. I now have a shark pro that when hit the on switch it always goes!!! NewWave needs to get away from the cheap connectors --- temperature changes in my garage and vibration of the controller box near the CNC caused many weird problems that I have seen expressed on this forum. Like axis won't move, axis only moves in one direction, and many more were caused by poor connections
I'll send pics if anyone is interested.
Doc

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The Pro plus does not use the older connectors anymore. I would advise anyone that has an issue with some wires to send a controller back for repair. Making changes you have stated voids the warrenty on the electronics. We will put an older firmware on the website for people that want to use the mach 3 program with our controllers.

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

Tim;
I am confused??? The original question was Mach 3 compatibility with Shark Pro not Shark Pro Plus. Has the controller changed on the Shark Pro also?? Also if we go back to the old firmware for the NC-POD will the 3D probe still work???
thanks
Doc