depth of cut / step over recommendations

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

stonker

depth of cut / step over recommendations

Post by stonker »

First time cutting wood on the shark. I am programming an arch top guitar and plan on roughing with a 1/4" flat bottom endmill and finishing with a 1/4" ball endmill. Up untill now I have only cut into foam insulation. I'm not sure how rigid the machine is and what I can expect to get away with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stonker

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: depth of cut / step over recommendations

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Stonker,

For end mills I think the default stepover is 40%. Reading through the Vectric forum and I've been using 20-30% as my start point. Particularly for pockets/flat bottoms.

For ball nose 3D carving I use 8% stepover - again from reading Vectric forum and talking with folks at the last Vectric User Group meeting in Memphis.

This post - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=263 - also has a few good references to use to actually calculate this as a fully trained machinist would. I've done that a couple of times to get a better sense of recommended starting points as I don't have 40 years of life experience.

The other big difference as you move from foam to wood will be the plunge and feed rates. Again, the reference provides some of this info. I've found that if I have a project I'm going to cut in two very different wood densities, I still use one project, then I use the Feed Rate Override (FRO) slider on the basic panel to adjust the settings as I run the project.

You could do a little research, and/or then run your project on wood with the FRO set at like 35% and then bump it up until you start getting poor cuts. Once you determine the best settings range, it will all be quicker. Unfortunately, beyond the reference I mentioned, I haven't found any cook books.

One thing I have seen regardless of the wood density is that sometimes it is a good idea to set the FRO to less than 100% so that the initial plunge and cut have no "pressure" and a maximum opportunity to get to the right spot and make that initial cut. This is true for either a rough or finish cut in my case. If you think about it, it makes sense as with the first/initial cut, the entire bit is chomping at the material. The "next pass" is typically only making contact along a single edge of the tool. After a minute or two of cutting, I crank the FRO back to 100%.

Lastly, be sure not to get the FRO below 30-35%. There is a reported bug in the basic panel when the FRO is below that - so best not to confirm or deny the bug yourself.

Buc

Re: depth of cut / step over recommendations

Post by Buc »

Stonker,
Joe in KY. gave you all good information. I have a Great white Shark pro and use Aspire software. I machine soft to medium wood density. Don't remember what the default setting were in the Tool Data Base, but I did edit them. This is what I did and what I use for the .250"EM. Left the stepover at .100" or 40%. Changed the feed rate to 50"IPM and the Plunge to 20"IPM. I use this tool for Material removal. Roughing pockets and roughing 3D. I set the FRO to 60% to 80% and then move to 100% if I like what I see and hear. Also listen to the sounds of the router motor. I want it to be working free and not struggling to keep up with the cut.
If I use the .250"EM to Peck drill holes, I set the FRO to 50% and spindle speed on the router Between 1 and 2.
Also edited the Tool Data Base for the .250"BN. Feed rate changed to 60"IPM and the plunge to 20"IPM. Stepover at 10%.
Pass depth means if you have it set to .125", in 4 passes you will take .500".
Step over means the higher the percentage the more sanding you will have to do.
These are my own choices, on how I wish to run my machine. I'm not saying they are right or wrong. Hopefully everyone can expand on them and machine many masterpieces.
Buc in PA.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday