Constantly Format SD Card

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rc1282

Constantly Format SD Card

Post by rc1282 »

I purchased the Shark Pro and so far I'm very happy with it. One thing I've noticed though, is that I CONSTANTLY have to format the SD Card. I'm using the 1gb micro sd card with the adapter. I've downloaded the software when I set it up. After I did my first project, I took the sd card from the controller and my computer prompted me to format the sd card. I did, ran a second job, and I got the same prompt. It seems that every time I take the card out of the controller, my files are gone and it needs to be formatted. I switched to a new card that I had in the house. That was an 8gb card, and I'm getting the same situation each time. I've formatted using FAT32 and NTFS with the same results. Can someone advise if I'm missing a step? And, do I need to run the firmware updater EACH TIME that I start a new project? The manual says that, but it seems very counter-intuitive. Thanks in advance for any help.

tonydude

Re: Constantly Format SD Card

Post by tonydude »

You do not need to take out the sd card from the controller. Leave it in at all times. Why are you taking it out?
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

And you do not need to run the firmware updater every time you run a project. Once it has run successfully, there is no need for the firmware updater.

From other posts in the last few months, there seems to be a potential problem in using certain size and capability SD cards as well. As this isn't well documented, you may want to contact Rockler support, get the contact information for the Next Wave support guy, and call them. You absolutely shouldn't be nor need to take the SD card out of the control box, but now that you have and you're in this formatting drill, and there is no documentation on what cards work and how to format a new or existing card, you may only get this cleared up by talking with their support tech.

Please post what you find out - be good to know.

rc1282

Post by rc1282 »

Thanks for the replies. I found my major error. I was saving the entire job to the sd card, and to do that I was moving the card from my computer to my controller. I re-read everything and I'm all sorted out now.