Shark Quit--Anyone Have Same Prob?

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bmink

Re: Shark Quit--Anyone Have Same Prob?

Post by bmink »

Thanks, it's always nice to be able to tell the students what is happening.

Rlangan

Post by Rlangan »

I'm having a similar problem as well. At first, I was able to load the basic panel and communicate with the machine. The jog worked well and I was able to set 0 points. Now when I bring up the basic panel I get an error popup if I touch anything - even to close the program. I have to open the task manager to end the task. I've tried reinstalling the .NET framework, restarting the computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the basic panel and drivers and every combination of these things with no luck. The computer isn't shutting off the USB bus, I have no other usb connections other than a wired mouse, and windows seems quite happy with the driver it has for the controller. I thought the USB extension I used might be causing problems, but that doesn't seem to matter.

The exact wording reads as follows: Access Violation at address 00715D58 in module 'ncPodApi.dll' ..........

I haven't been able to route anything yet and I'd really like to get moving on this.

*Edit* I suppose I should also mention that I removed the SD card and put it into the computer. When I did this, it asked for a format which I did. I'm wondering if I removed the original firmware in the format which is causing all the mess now. If so, can I put it back on the card either in Windows or Ubuntu? If we aren't supposed to remove the card, there should be a label over the card that says this. I removed the card thinking that I had to load my tap file and then insert it back into the controller to run. Also, the program is cooperative as far as errors as long as the USB isn't connected.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I'd call Next Wave Automation on Tuesday and work with them to resolve this. (For anyone looking for Shark support please call the support line at 419 491-4520.) I don't know what you need to do, if anything, to undo pulling out the SD card from the control box, formatting it, placing it back in the control box and trying to use it. There are some posts on this, but it isn't clear if the card should be formatted as FAT32 or NFTS before being placed back in the control box.

You didn't state that you already disabled all screen savers and power savers (if using a laptop). As Tim stated earlier, if either or both of these are in play, this condition will occur.

You stated that you installed the .NET framework, so I assume you are using Win XP. From other posts, it is possible that your machine's USB drivers might benefit from updating - from the hardware manufacturer's website and not Windows Update. You may want to check the computer manufacturer's website for both BIOS and USB driver updates. In the case of the BIOS, you should read through the version highlights. You may want to apply any BIOS update only if the highlights mention fixing/improving USB performance.

Rlangan

Post by Rlangan »

Joe,
Thanks for the quick reply. I can call them, you don't have to. I figured no one would be in the office until Tuesday anyhow.

I'm using a desktop with a fresh install of Windows 7. I didn't think I needed the .NET framework, but I loaded it anyway just in case. I will find the motherboard manufacturers disks and load the drivers to see if it makes a difference. I tried to update the USB drivers in the device manager and it told me that they were all up to date. I'm mostly concerned that it seemed to work for a little while and then stopped.

I'll update if I can get it running today.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - I would only call if it was my problem (lol)...

You're right, with Win7 you don't need the .NET 3.5 framework. The USB driver from the manufacturer is mostly an idea for older computers (that I've noticed on the forum). You're right that the device manager, regardless of OS version, would more than likely report "up to date". Unless a manufacturer has checked an update in with Microsoft, it won't appear on that list.

Since Win7 came out, there have been a few issues reported on the forum. There's also been a number of "no problems". 2 threads that might be useful to you while waiting for the holiday to be over are:

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=503 and

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=465

I don't use Win7 yet, so I don't have any direct experience to offer. Good luck - I'm sure it will be resolved soon and I look forward to hearing the how for your case (as none of us are alone with the learning).

Rlangan

Post by Rlangan »

Thanks Joe,
Misread the call part.

Rlangan

Post by Rlangan »

All that damn trouble and it came down to a bad USB cable. Bah!

al wolford

Post by al wolford »

I've been following this string to build my own knowledge bank of troubleshooting information. I'm glad you solved the issue.
How did you finally realize the USB cable was the issue?

Rlangan

Post by Rlangan »

Al, it was the only thing left. Jim at Nextwave had exhausted everything else and said to try replacing it. I didn't think it could solve the problem. If my machine had been at home instead of at the shop I would have changed it much earlier.

I'm still having some issues with compiling, but I'll need some more time and scrap to characterize those.