Can I

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

wingshooter

Can I

Post by wingshooter »

Hi This is my first post here. I am thinking of getting a shark pro but I need to ask some questions. I make custom slingshots and have a design that is a different profile from front to back. My question is can I cut one side then turn the work piece over and cut a different profile on the other side.
I am also planning on doing some small detailed engraving on the handels. Do you think it would be better to carve the detail then finish the cut out with a bandsaw. The reason i am thinking about the cnc is that there is a lot of sanding to get the shape I want and it is hard to get them the same every time.
I have not found anybody localy that I can ask questions about this except the salesman and I would not trust one as far as I could through one.
The pictures are the front and back views of one of my slingshots that i want to cut. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks Roger
Attachments
IMG_0684 (640x464).jpg
IMG_0686 (640x427).jpg

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Can I

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Roger,

A lot of us use Vectric VCarve Pro or Aspire as the design software. I just checked the Rockler site and apparently the VCarve is not bundled with the Shark Pro (I purchased a Pro Plus). You can check with Rockler to be sure, but if that is the case, you might consider purchasing the ProPlus as the VCarve software is $599.

So, what you're wanting to do is two sided machining, and I've found it is pretty straight forward if you pay attention to a few things. I often make a jig so that when I flip the piece over to cut the "other side", it all lines up. You would probably use tabs to hold the slingshot in place as it is mostly cut out, and then use a small saw or oscillating cutting tool to trim the tabs and sand them smooth.

You can find some tips on two sided machining here, and a lot more on the Vectric user's forum. Most importantly, you can download the VCarve software as a trial and go through all the tutorials, and design stuff to your heart's content - you just can't create the file that is needed by a cnc machine to cut the project. So, you can spend as much time as you need determining if you can make the parts you're interested in - before you buy.

The Vectric tutorials are great, and are well worth the time stepping through to get the quickest jump start on how to use the software. There is also an excellent online help manual included. Again, the trial version is fully functional - you just can't do the last step and send that file to the cnc machine. I've found the preview window in VCarve/Aspire - which actually reflects the outcome of the cutting process, not your design - is spot on when I take it to the machine. The only thing you're not going to be able to preview "all at once" is this 2 sided machining outcome - you'll only be able to look at one side at a time.

Hope this helps your investigation.

wingshooter

Post by wingshooter »

Thanks Joe, I have downloaded the software and will spend some time with the tutorials. I can see where it will do what i want all I have to do is learn how. I use photoshop,auto cad, inkscape and others so I think as soon as I learn the termanology I should be allright.
Thanks for the help, now I need go thru all the tutorials
Roger

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Two sided machining is always an issue, even with full sized industrial machines.

For what you are doing, I would carve the first side, but leave the part connected to a square or rectangle of material.

The part can then be flipped and machined on the second side.

Cutting a hole through the part during the first operation will give you an accurate zero point for the second operation.

Hope this helps,

Ralph