Load Error

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Barguy

Load Error

Post by Barguy »

Hey guys been running my shark for a while with no problems. Till today..

Wondering if anyone has some ideas. Shark Pro running on windows through my laptop.

problem started last week.
pluged everything up. "Check cnc shark power and usb cable" message was on - jog controls were dimmed / no control

removed and repluged memory chip - no affect

purchased new chip from walmart. However the chip is a 2.0 gig and not a 1.0. Would this create an issue?
After installing new chip, machine would now jog,
After trying to download a file however it pops a new mini window for "Cncsharkbasicpanel" that says "Load error" After wich all jog controls go dimm again.

Tried popping old chip back in. Machine now will jog, but does not finish downloading file as above.

Checked all connections and they seem legitimate.

Any ideas?

fison

Re: Load Error

Post by fison »

Based on the error its a comm problem not an SD Card problem. How long is the USB cable and is it laying close to something that could be causing interference (e.g. power cord, etc.)?

Next time it happens unplug the USB cable from the computer and plug it back in. If the Shark control panel comes back to life then its almost certainly something USB related.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

Barguy

Post by Barguy »

Well I'm still out of luck here.

I contacted Jim with next wave and sent the whole control box in for repair. He sent it back saying it works fine. I plugged it up and am still have same problem.

Im not sure what else to do. had this for a while now and never an issue. I have checked everything I can think of. My computer works fine and that's the only thing I can imagine?

I depend on this machine now for orders, but have screwed up several now cause I can't get it to work. If anyone knows anything let me know but Im still getting check usb error, Occasionally it will power up and not be dimmed and jog commands work. However, as soon as you attempt to load a file it says "load error"

Im tempted to run to walmart and buy a computer to try it, but worried I'll be waisting my money. Also, I can't get vectric to get in touch with me about how to redownload on a new computer. I think I can use my old upgrade license code when I went to 6.0 in v carve. I have already bought a new chip and usb cable but they didnt do jack...

fison

Post by fison »

Could you be having a problem with the actual USB port on the computer? If you haven't already tried, plug your Shark into another port and see if the problem goes away.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Safely Remove Hardware Window
Hi,

If your Control Box has been checked out to be good, then it's either the usb cable, or the usb hardware/drivers on your computer. When you get the 'Check CNC Shark Power and USB cable' message, that is an indication of a failure to connect, not a 'bad' SD card.

Some things you can try:

1. Use a different USB connection on your computer.

2. Try a different USB cable. Do other USB devices work on your computer? On the same USB port you're using to connect to the Control Box? If so, the cable me be a leading culprit. Of course, you've already tried this.

3. Power off the Control Box. On your computer, open the Safely Remove Hardware window. You can find this icon in the lower left hand corner of your window.
safely remove hardware icon win xp.jpg
Safely Remove Hardware Icon
(9.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Double click and the window opens. If you see the ncPod listed, click once on it and then hit stop. Then close the window.
Then turn on the Control Box. Then open the Basic Panel - you might find that you have a connection now.

This process is forcing the control box to be disconnected from the computer - kind of a clearing of the electrons. Back when USB devices first appeared, you had to be somewhat religious in doing this before disconnecting a USB device, else you were not able to use it when you plugged it back in. This has been ruggedized as that's too hard for most users to think about. However, I've seen this with my setup every now and then. Performing these steps seems to clear it.

4. If you have another computer, or even can borrow one for a short test - install the CNC Basic Panel and drivers. If that works, you may have a hardware and/or driver problem with your computer's USB hardware - not the Control Box or cable.

5. If you're using a laptop, make sure you've disabled all screen savers, and gone into power management and set everything to always on if plugged in. Some of these power management functions can result in this behavior.

With regard to transferring your Vectric software license - it will install and license on a separate machine. You are still of course obliged to follow the licensing agreement, but this license is not currently tied to a computer.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Glen has a similar recommendation in a separate post - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 4993#p4993. His steps of turning on the control box after the computer stops and turning off the control box before turning off the computer are similar in outcome to using the Safely Remove Hardware window. I look forward to hearing from you on this - did trying this or using the steps Glen outlined resolve your problem?