Shark Pro Plus Damage and Setup Question

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ffloyd

Shark Pro Plus Damage and Setup Question

Post by ffloyd »

I received my Shark Pro Plus this week, but today was the first opportunity to get the boxes open. Certainly, this is an impressive machine. I noticed that the aluminum pieces that make up the table were not in alignment. On further inspection, I noticed that one of the aluminum table pieces was loose. The plastic block was broken. So, that needs to be replaced. I heard that Rockler does not have parts, who do we turn to?

Looking at the assembly instructions, the twelve screws are supposed to be inserted through the gantry and into the blocks on the base. I noticed that this machine has holes only on the inside, meaning that they do not go all the way through. It also appears that the holes might be threaded. The bolts provided are much too long if the gantry holes are threaded. This does not make much sense.

Tim? Anyone?? Help!!!!
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5

DoctorSaul

Re: Shark Pro Plus Damage and Setup Question

Post by DoctorSaul »

You need to contact Al Wolford at Rockler (800-260-9663, x-8334, or Tim Owens at New Wave Automation (the manufacturer) 419-318-4822. I'm sure they can address both issues.

Hang in there.. the machine is really great and you're going to have a blast with it when it gets repaired and setup.

Yours is another case of UPS lack of care in shipping....New Wave Automation packs the machine quite well, I thought, but if UPS throws the packed boxes violently enough concealed damage is sure to occur.

Regarding the gantry bolts.... I'm not sure I understand your question. Six bolts go through on each side (12 total, supplied with the machine), with a nut placed on each bolt. The holes are not threaded. You'll need a Torx screwdriver/driver to tighten the bolts. It's quite easy to see.... I wonder if you have other damage that has destroyed or mangled the gantry mounts?

Saul

ffloyd

Post by ffloyd »

Thanks for the encouragement.

The photos of the ProPlus on the website show the six screws with the heads facing out. The holes on the gantry are drilled from the inside.
The six holes in each side of the gantry do not go completely through the side. With a depth gauge, the holes are only 5/8" deep. I think the holes are a 1/4" diameter. I guess I could drill the rest of the way through, but it is somewhat confusing because the directions could stand some detail.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

There is a film on Pro Plus to protect it. Are you refering to that as not drilled out? If so you can press though the film it with your fingers. These are tight holes so dont drill them out. Use a screwdriver to put in the screws and then put the nuts on the other end and tighten down.

Email me directly on any questions or getting a replacement part.

We can ship out the part on monday.

Tim

RhB_HJ

Post by RhB_HJ »

Tim,

As mentioned in this thread the mounting holes on the LH up right of the gantry are 1.2mm short of being drilled/reamed through. Since the machine set up for these holes has them drilled from the inside out it should be easy to check when the uprights are fitted to the bridge. :)
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

bentcreations

Post by bentcreations »

Mine was like that when i got it. i just drilled the holes out with the exact size drill bit and it worked fine.