Help!!!! with tiling

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

Re: Help!!!! with tiling

Post by milo30 »

Here's the video. He has some other good ones on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jhnKr4fc_c

RobieMo

Post by RobieMo »

OK I would like to throw in my two cents on this one to see if it helps. I used this on a project that I had to use tiles on and it was very simple. I was making long rulers that needed to be tiled.

I did all the same programing work that you have described but when it came to my set up all I did was place a straight board on the table and used it as a straight edge. This is where I stray off. Instead of drilling holes to use for index marks and then trying to line up everything perfect all I did was make a pencil mark on my straight edge board and then make another mark further up the board whatever distance your tile is. So lets say your tiles are 18", make two marks 18" apart (a top mark and a bottom mark). Now get your good piece set onto the table and transfer those two marks onto your good piece. Run all of your tool paths for the first tile and then slide the board down until your top mark on your good board meets your bottom mark on your straight edge. Transfer your top mark onto your good board and run your second tile.....Repeat until you are done.

Its crazy but it totally makes sense in my head but when I try to explain it....Not so much.

Anyways, I hope that helps. If you want, I could set up an example and take some pictures.

Rob

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

Ok, I'm still having trouble tiling. It has been a while, and I had to put this project on hold. I am now back to it, and I'm still running into problems.

I basically understand how to deal with the tiling in the Y-direction. Marking the piece, and sliding it down. The problem I am running into is in the X-direction.

I have set up my table with a fence that my workpiece slides along - so my x=0 should never change. nevertheless everytime Islide my workpiece down, holding it tight to the fence, and start tile 2 - the cuts are off by about 1/8".

Bob

Post by Bob »

It sounds like your fence is not parallel to the travel of the bit. When I need to set a fence parallel to travel, I put an old bit in the chuck upside down. (The bit is upside down, not the chuck.) With the router turned off, I jog the bit along the fence. I actually lightly clamp the starting end of the fence and use the bit to push it parallel as it travels.
Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

That makes sense, I thought I had set it parallel, but I'll try your method - sounds more accurate than mine.