Zero

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RickSokol

Zero

Post by RickSokol »

When trying to carve a project the bit does not touch work piece. It zeroes on the touch plate normally. When I run the file the bit starts down, then hesitates and never reaches the piece. It says that it is cutting at -.125 but it is about a half inch above the work. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

basecircle

Re: Zero

Post by basecircle »

Hi Rick Let me give it a shot.When you are using your touch plate.Did you look at the preferences You should have .374 typed in.This is the thickness of the touch plate.Once you have that then hit z zero put on your touch plate and touch it off(success) Then let it zero.I know this sounds by the numbers but if you have the wrong thickness in this could be the problem.Also try to pick it up old school by steping z down using a pc of paper.call it zero and away you go.I am sure the group will chime in on this.Let me know how it went. Basecircle

RickSokol

Post by RickSokol »

Thickness is set right. It worked two days ago, but today it just wouldn't.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

It sounds mechanical - I would check the lead screw/motor axis collar and make sure the lock nuts are set correctly.

jimsr1959

Post by jimsr1959 »

check job set up make sure you have z set to correct setting as to top and bottom of touch plate.

RickSokol

Post by RickSokol »

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Everything is good with the plate settings. As far as mechanical goes you can jog it up and down as far as it will go with no problem. As it starts down to the work, it stops about an inch above it and just chatters like an electric motor single phasing. I've checked all mechanical connections. I'm beginning to think it is a software or controller problem.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Rick,

One of the things you can do to further troubleshoot this is to swap cables. For example put the Z cable on the X output and vice versa. If the X motor stumbles as the Z motor is currently, a sure sign that you have a Control Box issue and you'll need to contact NWA support.

I'm assuming you've tried other tap files only to find this condition on the z axis at job start?

Mike_

Post by Mike_ »

Hi Rick,

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and in my case it turned out the router was slipping in the clamp. I know it sounds trivial, but manually jog the router and check to see if your bit will reach the deck before reaching maximum travel. If your chatter is mid travel and you are not close to the end of your travel limits, inspect your screws and carriage for debris and rough spots.

I glued a small piece of fine grit sand paper to the router and then reset the router depth in the clamp. I also scribed and witness mark on the router for a quick indication of further slippage. I have not had any problems with my Z axis since.

coalminer

Post by coalminer »

my touch plate is not being shown on screen when it's time for it. it worked fine for a while. then when i powered up next morning it wasn't there. HELP

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Coalminer - I'd try registering the touch plate again to reset that key in your setup. Once you enter the key again, exit the SCP and restart it. If the 'Detect Touch Plate' button is still not showing up, contact NWA support to get this cleared up.