Engraving brass plaque

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tonybell9699

Engraving brass plaque

Post by tonybell9699 »

Good morning!

I have ordered the new 60th ann CNC Shark, and have been reading the forum topics as well as looking at video's while eagerly awaiting for my machine to show up (It is back ordered). I am curious, is this machine capable of engraving small brass plates? I have seen some video's on Youtube of CNC machines engraving brass (with the router off) and wonder if the CNC Shark can as well.

If it can, is there some help files out there?

thanks! I cant wait to get mine setup and start applying some of the tips I have read on this forum!

Tony

ruhnau

Re: Engraving brass plaque

Post by ruhnau »

I have engraved brass plates with a 90 deg V bit numerous times, but I have never done it with a drag knife( router off).

tonybell9699

Post by tonybell9699 »

Great! thanks, how small can I go? I am looking at 1" x 2" name plates. This is a pretty big machine for somthing so small, but one of the projects I would like to do.

ruhnau

Post by ruhnau »

You can go as small as you want as long as you have the means of holding it down.

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

Im curious. How deep so you set the depth of cut for a brass plate? Don't know of I'll CNC brass plates, but you never know.
Rick

ruhnau

Post by ruhnau »

With a v bit I start around .010 deep. I have machined through .090 thick brass with a .06 dia.endmill .005 per pass.

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Hi Tony Once ya get the machine you will have a great time.I have engraved alot of brass plates.Using the 60 and also 90 deg .125 cutters.Go about .005 to.007 to start.Holding is the key.(and flatness)I mill a low relief pocket pocket and use some double stick tape.Or I use my homemade vice.What i really like is using my diamond drag tool.This is the way to go.It's spring loaded so any unevenness and etches it into the brass.(I bought one on e bay)I also use it for acrylic. I think you will like this.Basecircle

WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Would you please post a couple of photos using the dragknife to engrave in brass? Would you post a phot and plans form your homemade holddown for engraving brass. If possible would you post a Vcarve or Aspire file for brass plate engraving that you have done?

WayneK