Zero point setting with straight cutters.

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

aaronoverholser

Zero point setting with straight cutters.

Post by aaronoverholser »

I would like some opinions. When making a cut with a straight cutter, how would you go about setting the 0,0,0 starting point? I have been inserting a v-bit that goes right to a point to get the X an Y accurate, then jogging up on Z and putting in the straight cutter. After locking the straight cutter down I then jog down to set the Z height. Is that the most accurate and efficient way to do it?

hdtheater

Re: Zero point setting with straight cutters.

Post by hdtheater »

It all depends on where you set home. I have had the most success in the top left of my piece. I use center if I am using an odd shaped piece of wood and am just trying to be efficient. If you have Vcarve 6 and need to divide your piece into panels, then lower left is the best place.

As for setting z, the best advice I have been given is to keep your bit finger tight. Then lower it to with in ~ 1/8" of the material and then loosen the bit. Then slide it out of the chuck and let it rest on a piece of paper just to where the paper will slide out without tearing. Tighten the bit and set the home position in the Shark control panel.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

aaronoverholser

Post by aaronoverholser »

Thats a great idea for Z!!! Thats the kind of thing I want trick I want to know! Tell me some more!

glenz

Post by glenz »

If the setting of the x / y zero position I do as you do... put in a 60 degree V-bit and bring it to the mark. Otherwise I just eyeball the straight bit over the mark as well as I can. For the z axis I jog the bit down close to the surface, loosen the collet letting the bit drop to the surface, retighten and call that zero.The act of tightening raises the bit some. If the z position is critical I test the gap with feeler gauges and set the z position to the feeler that fits.

GTOGEORGE

Post by GTOGEORGE »

Good Ideas, What I do is locate the x and y then shut off the controler an turn the z down by hand to a light touch on thin paper and then trun on the controller again and it automatically sets all at zero.
George