Touch Plate!

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

baby15

Re: Touch Plate!

Post by baby15 »

4DThinker wrote:For those afraid of using the Touch plate, I wouldn't worry. I made the mistake once of not attaching the magnetic end to the chuck, and as the bit came down it pressed down on the plate, started deflecting the table before I cancelled the routine and jogged the bit up. The aluminum plate is softer than any bit you'll use, and with the Shark there is enough flex in the table assemble that a mistake like I made would be needed to snap a tiny bit. Didn't do any damage at all to the 1/4" carbide down-spiral bit I had in there.

Used it on a project today and actually giggled a bit with how easy it made zeroing the bit. Just don't forget to attach that magentic lead!
ya but still want to see the video

CountryWoodCrafts

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

90.00 huh . . . .That would buy me a lot of paper . . . .X and Y already zero'd. I run it down to the piece . . .turn off the machine with the red control button. . . .turn the screw for the Z axis till the bit touches a piece of thin brown packing paper. I pull the paper to ensure a slight drag . . . .turn the red button back on and Voilà! it is zero'd. Takes me 10 seconds to perform the whole Z axis zeroing. . .

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

$90 bothers me as well, but I so enjoyed using a Touch Plate on the big Multicam CNC we have at work that I "knew" one would save me time on the Shark. Ironic that I saw the controller software was updated to include a Step feature, as the precise positioning of the Z level had been what cost me the most time. I've gone from a pissy frustration setting Z to: stick (magnet to collet), place plate under bit, click, click, and Z is set. All in less time than it took to read that description. Haven't timed myself, but the touch plate removed all Z doubt and worry from my jobs. I'd like it better for $40. I'd love it for $20. $90 is the price though so it'll just take longer to make the little time saved pay for it. Satisfaction is priceless though, so I'm glad I bought the plate.

lthorpe

Post by lthorpe »

I just got My touch plate, registered. Clicked on detect touch plate get error message, can not detect touch plate.
I have latest ver. of software, plugged in touch plate, even restarted everything a few times. Still no luck.
Did anyone else have this issue?
CNC SHARK PRO PLUS, Vcarve Pro

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

To detect the plate you have to touch the bit with it. The magnetic lead has to be attached to the collet. I didn't think it was working until I caught a glance at the prompt and realized it just flashes "Success" for a moment when the plate touches the bit. The point of it all is to make sure it'll work when you run the routine. If you can't then check the the plug. I noticed it was a very cheaply made part when I got the probe and had to install it in my controller box. The first one snapped in two as I tightened it and they had to send me a replacement.

lthorpe

Post by lthorpe »

4DThinker wrote:To detect the plate you have to touch the bit with it. The magnetic lead has to be attached to the collet. I didn't think it was working until I caught a glance at the prompt and realized it just flashes "Success" for a moment when the plate touches the bit. The point of it all is to make sure it'll work when you run the routine. If you can't then check the the plug. I noticed it was a very cheaply made part when I got the probe and had to install it in my controller box. The first one snapped in two as I tightened it and they had to send me a replacement.
Ok, I just tried that and still not working. I guess the cable is bad, or my controller. I just get a error message.
I'll see if I can test the cable.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Seems to me there was also a USB Driver update at NWA to be installed before installing the new controller version. Did you do that?

lthorpe

Post by lthorpe »

4DThinker wrote:Seems to me there was also a USB Driver update at NWA to be installed before installing the new controller version. Did you do that?
Last night I did re-install of the new ver. and the drivers. I am running the control program on a laptop with a clean install of windows XP. The only programs I have on this computer are the control software. I have been running the shark on this set up since last Nov. and it runs the shark well. I do all design work on another desktop then move the tap files on USB flash drive. I cut a few parts last night, everything went well, But the touch plate is still not working.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

If you've pulled out the connection at the metal plate and 'put it back in', and are sure that the plug in is fully seated in the control box, and the magnet is attached to the router collet when you run the test to confirm the touch plate is being sensed, I'd call NWA support.

If everything above is confirmed, then there is a mechanical/wire problem somewhere - whether in the touch plate cabling or in the control box.

baby15

Post by baby15 »

gordread wrote:Let me know how this works out. I am really considering getting a touch plate.
I just ordered one. I hope it works. would save a lot of hassel