Making Pistol Grips?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MoHawk

Making Pistol Grips?

Post by MoHawk »

I'am an avid woodworker & hobby pistolsmith. I've been seriously considering adding the Shark Pro Plus to my woodworking shop to compliment my projects with engraving. I would also like to make custom pistol grips. For those of you with experience, could the grips pictured below be produced on the Shark Pro Plus? They have flat bottoms with radiused grip surface and many different patterns which I have CAD drawings for. These particular grips have a diamond cross hatched pattern.

GARYR6

Re: Making Pistol Grips?

Post by GARYR6 »

Yes the shark can do this....The real question is the software.... I have seen grips done but only in the Aspire software.......not in Vcarve. Try the Vectric web site.
Vectric.com.
Good luck/forum

MoHawk

Post by MoHawk »

Thanks for the tip on the Vectric Forum. There are 53 posts related to pistol grips and some of those are unbelieveable quality! :D

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

The easy thing to do is take the grip off and have it scanned with the touch probe. Then you will have the basic shape and you can adjust it with aspire from there.

Thanks

Tim

beglylw

Post by beglylw »

1911 grips can be cut nicely on any cnc without too much backlash. Design and programming is the harder part. I have a design and program for some that i cut in walnut.
See the attachment of some smooth ones. Checkering would be difficult over the sides but you could do it on 90 percent of the surface.
Attachments
1911grips_html_m4df37919.jpg