Can the Shark Pro Plus make saw handles?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mdh

Can the Shark Pro Plus make saw handles?

Post by mdh »

Hi, curious to know if anyone has any experience making gunstocks or saw handles? I favor the highly-radiused form of saw handles you see on the old 19th-century Disstons, and would like to replicate them, such as what you see on old Disston backsaws and handsaws (like the D8). Thanks!

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Can the Shark Pro Plus make saw handles?

Post by jeb2cav »

I don't have any direct experience making a saw handle. However, the question is really more about what the software can do that feeds the Shark than the Shark itself (assuming the handle size is within the parameters the Shark can cut). I did a quick search on the Vectric forum for saw handle with no hits. However, there are a number of hits for gun stock and gunstock, pistol grips, etc. The Shark comes with VCarve Pro. You may find yourself considering an upgrade to Aspire to make the handle (or not). The good news is you can download trial versions of both at the Vectric site. You can also get a good idea of how others are using the software, regardless of the machine. Obviously, I and others have chosen the Shark for a lot of reasons - and I'm pleased with my decision so far (for what it's worth).

cdat

Re: Can the Shark Pro Plus make saw handles?

Post by cdat »

Why yes, yes it can. What material you gonna' use? I was a dedicated woodworker a month ago. Now, the possiblities are endless. :)
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.