Frustrated

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

nwflycaster

Frustrated

Post by nwflycaster »

Being brand new to any type of cnc working I knew I was in for a large learning curve. However, after having my new CNC Shark Pro Plus for two weeks now and not being able to figure anything out but the assembly I am now completely frustrated. I cannot get the two updates to load on a new laptop, just keep getting eror messages, try to do a jog and again nothing but error messages. I did get a jog a few times, but when it did it turned into a grey scale on the laptop while doing it and wouldn't stop it would get to the end and just grind if I didn't power off. I tried going through the tutorials and I am having some success there but if I go to look into the sample files they are empty, nothing to see. I can only create new files of my own. To top it all off I have three calls and messages left for Tim Owens over the past two weeks to try to help me figure this out and still haven't heard a thing back from him. I'm sure when I actually get to start using this tool I will be ecstatic, but until then I'm still just Aaaarrrrrrrgggggg. That's the end of my venting, thank you for listening.

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Frustrated

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

With the holidays over, hopefully you'll be able to speak directly with Next Wave, but with a bit more info, we might be able to help out.

What OS are you running? I've not used Windows 7, but am running my Pro using XP.

Give us whatever details you may, and the crowd here might be able to help.

Ralph

geraldjohs

Post by geraldjohs »

I couldn't get the shark control panel to work on my laptop with windows 7 64 bit. I went to an older desktop with xp & everything works now.

Dealing with Tim from Next Wave is a very slow process. I finally gave up & went with the older computer. I don't think the shark control panel is compatible with new laptops with windows 7 64 bit. I tried 3 different ones & none worked.

Gerald

nwflycaster

Post by nwflycaster »

The laptop I purchased for the tool is a Dell that is equiped with Windows 7 Home Premium, 6 GB of memory, and has a 64 bit operating system.

theremin

Post by theremin »

Microsoft offers a Virtual PC/Windows XP mode to run on Windows 7--there have been many problems with legacy programs that won't run on the 64 bit OS. I believe it's a free download from Microsoft, and would definitely be worth a try. It might well take care of the problem. It essentially opens up a virtual Windows XP "machine" in a window of Windows 7. We've used it for other problem apps at work, and it seems to work well for us--maybe it will for the Shark control panel too. Here's a link to the download: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx

Dave

Buc

Post by Buc »

I run my shark control panel on a Toshiba A505 with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). I run version 1.4.0.10 of the Shark Panel. I believe I downloaded it sometime in June of 10. I noticed there is a version 1.4.0.17 available. Just guessing I will stay away from that version for as long as possible. I had all kinds of problems with the older version of the Shark panel I download when I got my machine. So far with version 1.4.0.10, had no problems.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

acxsasx

Post by acxsasx »

I run the shark control panel on a little Dell netbook, Atom processor, 1gb ram and like 16g ssd. Runs Windows XP and I used the latest updates with no problem.

The VCarve and all else I run on Dell Alienware, Windows 7, 64bit, 4gb ram, 500gb HDD.

Definitely look at running in XP mode.

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Can't say anything about 64 bit, but I am running just fine on Windows 7 32 bit.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

nwflycaster

Post by nwflycaster »

Tim sent me a patch but it didn't work. Waiting to hear back from him for the next step at this point. I purchased the laptop from Costco and they give you a 90 days return policy for electronics. I would just hate to still be trying to get the Shark to be functional after all that time then have to go return the laptop and repurchase a lesser quality one. Though I am approaching 30 days now.

geraldjohs

Post by geraldjohs »

nwflycaster wrote:Tim sent me a patch but it didn't work. Waiting to hear back from him for the next step at this point. I purchased the laptop from Costco and they give you a 90 days return policy for electronics. I would just hate to still be trying to get the Shark to be functional after all that time then have to go return the laptop and repurchase a lesser quality one. Though I am approaching 30 days now.

I was in the same situation. Bought new laptop HP pavilion with windows 7 64 bit home edition didn't work. Returned laptop & bought a Toshiba laptop with windows 7 64 bit home edition got same error. Finally using an old desktop computer with windows xp and no problems. I only run the shark control panel on my desktop computer. Use new laptop to run all the software (varce 6, ect) and save on a flash drive (thumb drive) then transfer to desktop for carving.

I was dealing with Tim the whole time to (very slow process). He never solved my problem (which seems the same as yours). I would keep the laptop for running the software and find an older computer to keep in the shop (with different operation system, xp, vista, win 7 32bit) to deal with the dust.

Gerald