Carving Offset

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

wwoodworks

Carving Offset

Post by wwoodworks »

Hi Everyone
A few days ago I posted a help wanted to get an AI file into Aspire and then edit it.
Tonydude actually did it for me and taught me how to do that procedure and I was able
to carve the sign as shown in the 1st photo attached. Then I used the flat bottom option
in V-carve mode to reverse the carving so that the text was raised and the field area was recessed .2".
The previews for the project came out perfect. When I carved the pocket toolpath, it came out good.
When I tried to run the V-carve file, it started o.k. and carved the plus in the center and then the O above it.
Then something happened and the whole thing shifted left about 3/4" and continued that way until
I stopped the machine. My feed and speed are set low. I ran the job twice and the same thing happens each time @ the same place in the carving.
The r starts carving over the O.
Does anyone know what is going on here?
Attachments
Positive Flat V-Carve
Positive Flat V-Carve
Negative recessed V-Carve
Negative recessed V-Carve

4DThinker

Re: Carving Offset

Post by 4DThinker »

Usually a shift happens when the router bumps into a limit when trying to cut what is required. The Sharks don't have limit switches so the controller has no way of knowing it has hit a hard limit and just keeps on sending commands as though nothing happens. In your case it appears the work was clamped 3/4" too close to one side for the router to safely reach all the area you wanted it to cut.

Other things can stops axis movement besides the hard ends. I've had students leave things under the bed that prevented Y movement forward, and seen a router cable pinch between parts to stop the X axis from moving one direction until it reversed and freed the cable.

A loose coupler screw (between the motor and the threaded rod) can slip momentarily before jamming again to cause your symptoms.

Check these things.

4D

wwoodworks

Re: Carving Offset

Post by wwoodworks »

Thank u 4D 4 your tips.
I checked everything and none of the things u suggested were an issue.
The carving in the rough (which I did 1st) is perfectly centered on the board.
It was the shift when it started carving the r during the V carve toolpath that caused it to go closer to the left edge.
Set screw is tight, nothing over or under the table to inhibit the travel. Cables are well managed and move freely during all gantry travel.

I set up the job to carve from zero in the center of the project.
So I went back to Aspire and changed the starting point to the lower left corner, recalc'd the tool paths
and ran the job. It is now running, is about 3/4 finished and looks to be perfect.
Any ideas on how this would fix my problem?
Wayne