CNC Shark Pro Plus Machining errors

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Maxking

CNC Shark Pro Plus Machining errors

Post by Maxking »

I am using the control panel 2.1 which has been adapted to the 4th axis. I had problems with the Micro SD card and replaced it and the USB cable. I have problems with the tool cutting erratically. When cutting out a bowl it took off outside the programmed area in an elliptical path and broke the bit. Many other carving faults have occurred. It has performed correctly on occasions, but errors are increasing. I have checked the machine and every thing is OK including the drive gears and couplings. My problem is that there is no service available that I know of for the Shark in Australia. Has any one got any suggestions of how to remedy the problem?

bill z

Re: CNC Shark Pro Plus Machining errors

Post by bill z »

Maxking,

May I suggest a few things to check?

Please make sure everything is properly grounded to the processor. Everything! Everything from the vacuum hose to the router. Frequently, static electricity will cause the motors and processor to jump and change home (sort of).

Check your limits. These CNC machines do not have limit switches so, is the motor moves to where the motor can not move (at its limit) the motor will not move but the program doesn't know and thing just changed.

When the CNC is running, do not start heavy current loading machines (like a table saw) on the same circuit. Sometimes when the current drops, the controller will miss a beat or two. Some people even plug their controller into a UPS unit to prevent this from happening because the have other things to do in their shop while the CNC is cutting.

Hope some of this helps.

Maxking

Post by Maxking »

Thanks for your help. I do use an UPS to prevent power surges. I will take your advice and earth the system extensively.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Several years ago when I first started this adventure, I ran into a problem with the quality of the power more so than surges. In addition to the grounding and circuit loading condition Bill highlighted, in my case I had some abnormal movement at times. I'm in a rural area, and the power ranges in voltage. So I bought a ups that is also a power conditioner. The CNC Control Box, the computer and the router are all 'behind' this power conditioner - and it is a dedicated circuit.

The other thing I chose to purchase is a shielded USB cable - even though in my case the run is very short. Not sure what value besides peace of mind this contributed.

At that point, all of that abnormal stuff stopped, and since then I've been able to find the culprit for any other events that have popped up (like reaching a limit, poorly placed clamp, etc).

Not sure this will help you or not, but some additional ideas. In the end, if you've eliminated all of the mechanical contributors to this, then it is electrical. While it could point to a failing component in the control box, that kind of defect usually leads quickly to a total failure and repair need.

Maxking

Post by Maxking »

Thanks for the valuble information. The UPS I have is not a power conditioner and varies in voltage from 226 to 250 volts (Austrlian power is 250 volt at 50 htz). It appears to switch to battery inverted power at 225 volts. You have confirmed what has been a worry in the back of my mind. I will source a power conditioner and try that. Thanks again.

Maxking :)

Maxking

Post by Maxking »

I have connected the power stabiliser after the UPS and it worked twice. It then went back to cutting erratically. Each time it did this I took out the SD card and it required formatting. There appears to be an intermitant fault in the control box. I am starting to think that one of the worst decisions I have made is purchasing a CNC Shark.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I'd contact support. You're going to end up going through some troubleshooting steps again - but you may have a defective control box and NWA pretty good about service.

Maxking

Post by Maxking »

I have replaced the control box circuit board and everything is now working well.

bill z

Post by bill z »

Just for those that may be looking for their solution for a similar problem that is being discussed in this thread.

The other day, I noticed that my X axis was changing every once in a while. I could see the cut changing.

Just so happened that I was watching the drive screw on the X motor and saw it not move for a second when it should of moved.

Turned out being the Allan set screw on the connector between the screw drive and the motor had backed out just enough way past the flat on the drive motor, that it slipped.

There is no room for access to this Allan screw unless you cut short an Allan wrench, which I did. However, it was not possible for me to get my fingers, the Allan wrench, the screw and locktight all in the tight space to replace and retighten. Since I had to remove the motor, I used my Dremel and cut a slot in the plastic frame so an Allan wrench would fit without being cut down.

Again, for research purposes.