Inlay issues.

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

sudo

Inlay issues.

Post by sudo »

I gave inlays a try today and ive got some inconsistencies in the finished product.

I made 2 samples of a simple checker pattern using a .375 v bit. pics and vcarve files will be included

On the first one, I used the instructions outlined on this forum: http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=564

The border came out not as expected on the male inlay. Instead of 2 groves, there were three. I chopped off the edges and proceeded to glue in the main part of the checker pattern. The fit was not snug.

Something was obviously wrong. I let the glue setup as I did further research. Reading further in the thread, they have developed a few tweaks to the process and have put out an official .pdf, here: http://www.vectric.org/video/aspire4-vc ... cedure.pdf

I followed the steps in the new .pdf and again, it did not come out as expected. If you look closely in the picture you can see a sort of star pattern when it should be square. If you look at the vcarve file this is more pronounced. You can also see in that there is a gap around the inlay again. It does get better, and nearly perfect to the right side. I used all the same start depth and flat depth setting as outlined in the .pdf (.1", .2", .3" respectively)

I think we can agree that we should use the latter, .pdf instructions. If you have better instructions, please share.

Is the gap more to the right side due to insufficient clamping pressure? This is a small 5.5" square model and I had it clamped up pretty good on all sides.

I used the z-zero touchplate to set the z axis on all work pieces. I did not enable virtual zero due to the small size of the model.

I can appreciate that some of the border issues I was having is more on the vcarve side of the scope, but I think that some of the issues might lie on the cnc side as well. I appreciate your help in advance.
Attachments
#1 front
#1 front
#2 front
#2 front
Last edited by sudo on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sudo

Re: Inlay issues.

Post by sudo »

More pics attached
Attachments
#2. Loose fit on near side. Close, but not perfect on far side
#2. Loose fit on near side. Close, but not perfect on far side
#1 waste board
#1 waste board

sudo

Post by sudo »

the rest of the files. Thanks again to everyone
Attachments
#2 waste board
#2 waste board
chessboard_inlay.crv
female
(139.5 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
chessboard_inlay_mirror.crv
male
(178.5 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

gordread

Post by gordread »

Hey Sudo,

You may get better results if you do the inlay in multiple passes. I would suggest not doing any square that share a corner at the same time. So this would mean doing 3 or 4 separate inlays. You can likely cut the female side all at once, but if you try to do the male side all at once you are not going to be able to insert more than one square per 'corner' without overlapping. This overlapping will prevent the male components from seating into the inlay properly.

This way, you can just cut the squares, and press each individual square, without having to worry about how to press the whole piece at once.

Just my $0.02.

Gordon

sudo

Post by sudo »

Gordon - Great advice! Can you tell me what you have found to be the optimal average start, flat, and pocket flat depth settings in vcarve? Just what you have found to work best? I know this will vary for each piece, but I was wondering if anyone had success with a general number or rule of thumb.

Doing more testing today. Thanks again :mrgreen:

gordread

Post by gordread »

sudo wrote:Gordon - Great advice! Can you tell me what you have found to be the optimal average start, flat, and pocket flat depth settings in vcarve? Just what you have found to work best? I know this will vary for each piece, but I was wondering if anyone had success with a general number or rule of thumb.

Doing more testing today. Thanks again :mrgreen:

Honestly, It has been a while since I did any inlays and I can't remember the settings I've used, and I'm nowhere near my software at the moment.

I typically used whatever was set in the document that you previously linked.

Gordon