Swap X and Y axis

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pbscott

Swap X and Y axis

Post by pbscott »

This has probably been answered before, but the layout does not make sense to me. X should be left to right. Is there a way to swap X and Y in Vectric?
Phil Scott

I intend to live forever, or die trying"
Groucho Marx

4DThinker

Re: Swap X and Y axis

Post by 4DThinker »

In Vcarve Pro X is left (-) to right (+). On my Shark X is also left to right, and Y is front to back. If your router has the axis wrong, then check the cables from each motor. You could have them plugged into the wrong jack.

pshupe

Post by pshupe »

You just have to swap the X and the Y, but also unbolt and rotate your gantry 180 degrees. It seems that it is oriented to be portrait instead of landscape. What I mean is that if you face the perpendicular to the gantry one would assume that X is right to left and Y top to bottom(or front to back) but that is not the way it is set up. In this setup anything beyond the length of the machine extents would have to be placed in portrait orientation. Once I switched it around it was more logical and anything longer can be in landscape orientation and can hang off the end of the table if necessary.

Cheers Peter.

5axisdan

Post by 5axisdan »

First of all I am new to the forum and this is my first contact. I am a retired machine operator from Ford Tool&Die in Dearborn Michigan. We had the software option of
switching axis in the machine controler, but would have to mirror a axis if machineing a right hand part.
I have ordered the Shark Pro Plus HD so I haven't had a chance to check out the program yet. Are there "H" or "O" blocks in the programing so as to search out a start
point to restart from within because of tool failure or such. I would like to use ball nose mills for most of my cut paths, any pointers along that linewould
be appreciated.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

First regarding the original question on Swap X and Y. I guess from what I hear it is normal to have the X on the long side and Y on the short side. I'm thinking that some of this is more along the lines of "preferred perspective" although I would certainly like to be able to create tiled projects in VCarve and run them through on the X axis. It is hard to create something in the Y axis in VCarve. If there was a simple software selection I would probably do this, but since the only way that is commonly known at this point is to reverse the cables along with reversing the Gantry Assy, I choose not to do this, right now at least.

Regarding H or O blocks.... I don't know anything about that and since I don't have a CNC background that's part of the reason. What I think you are asking ... "Is there a way to start at a particular part of the tool path and resume where the problem occurred and continue cutting on a project"? As far as I know (with my limited experience) there is not. If a problem occurs you have to start back at the beginning of the tool path and cover that ground again. I wish there was a way to do this (especially on a 6 hour 3d carve that you are 4 hours into) and hopefully someone might come up with a technique to do it but I don't think its within the capability of the software at this point.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com