CNC Wood Joints

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bob

CNC Wood Joints

Post by Bob »

I have just come across this neat website listing 50 wood joints designed for cnc routing. http://flexiblestream.org/Digital-Wood-Joints-001.php It combines traditional Japanese styles for joint design with cnc production. There is no charge for the patterns, but they would like to see what has been done with the designs. After viewing these ideas it is easy to see different ways to modify designs for my use.
I am currently in the process of scaling a miter joint for my purposes and generating cutting paths.
I would be interested in seeing if there is any interest in these wood joints and sharing ideas.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

spinningwood

Re: CNC Wood Joints

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Bob - Thanks for posting the link to the website. Looks interesting. I like my joints to be really tight. Almost to the point where they don't need glue.

I plan to modify the mount for the router in my shark. I want something that will allow microadjustments to get the router perfectly perpendicular to the table. The stock system is adequate for signs and most 3d carving. But I haven't found it adequate giving me the precision I want for milling interlocking parts. Like a box with a suction fit lid or tight joints.

When (if) I get around to the modification I would be interested in trying out some of the ideas on that website. If you decide to give it a go, I hope you post your results.

Thanks.

Ed

Bob

Post by Bob »

OK,
This is my first attempt at one of these joints. I used a pencil to outline the joint profile and...to try and hide the poor fit :oops: .
After modifying the design for a better fit, I plan to use it for some cabinet doors.
Bob
Attachments
rail.jpg
(8.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
stile.jpg
(8.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
joint.jpg
"Focus"

damauk

Post by damauk »

Looks great Bob. I am very interested in these joints. What type of tooling path did you use on your piece?

Bob

Post by Bob »

damauk wrote:Looks great Bob. I am very interested in these joints. What type of tooling path did you use on your piece?

I'm not quite sure of your question. I used a pocket cut for the joints.
I downloaded the design from the website I noted above in my first entry. I then scaled the design down to fit my needs. I will need to make half of the design a little smaller in order to obtain a better fit. Right now it's way too tight.
Bob
"Focus"

damauk

Post by damauk »

I apologize for the vagueness of my question. I assumed you had used vCarve Pro and was wondering when you generated your toolpaths what type they were profile, pocket, etc. After I took the time to look at what you made the only logical type of toolpath would be a pocket. I am sorry for the confusion.

Bob

Post by Bob »

I've been thinking too much lately and easily confused. My brain needs a rest.

However...A nifty feature of this particular joint is that it need not be restricted to the shown example. Any shape could be used for the inerconnecting portion. Even initials, or symbols could be substituted. Time for more thinking :idea: .
Bob
"Focus"

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

Bob

Thanks for the link, just what I was looking for. I guess joints arn't just for dovetails anymore. Time for my brain to start hurting too. I think of all the possabilaties. Now where to find all the wood and time.

Happy Hollidays to all
Dwayne

mazzy

Post by mazzy »

Ed,

Did you ever revise your mount so as to be able to do micro adjustments? If so, how did it work out?

Mazzy