Pen Engraving

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

heck

Pen Engraving

Post by heck »

Will any models of the CNC Shark engrave turned pens on the upper barrel portion?

Respectfully,
Thank you,
Bill

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Pen Engraving

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Bill,

If you want to engrave a name or signature along a single line along the barrel, then yes, it is possible. You'll need to figure out a holding fixture, but it is doable within limits.

If you want to engrave the barrel as it is turned to engrave the entire diameter of the pen, then the simple answer is no. That would involve a fourth axis controller and stepper set up.

Ralph

cdat

Post by cdat »

That is correct, I've tried to cut into a few pens I've turned and unless the pen black rotates, you'll have a deep cut in the center and a lighter/thinner cut on the top/bottom of the engraving. Now, I wonder if you can engrave into the pen blank before it is turned with a picture or something and then take a skew and shave off a few layers until the blank is round.......... :shock:
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.

heck

Post by heck »

I do not own a CNC Shark, I am researching before purchase.

I am wanting to engrave pen boxes and turned pens both wood and polyester materials.

If I am understanding you correctly, your sharing the blank taper is cause depth issues with the engraving of the pen blank?

If you engrave before turning, you may hit the brass tubes/ which may split the wood or polyester off the brass tube?
Also and then still after you turn the taper in the blank the depth with differ with the taper.

Is my thinking correct?

Respectfully,
Bill