Shark Tanks, Dust, Indoor or Outdoor Shop

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

McBuster

Shark Tanks, Dust, Indoor or Outdoor Shop

Post by McBuster »

Need information on a Tank and Dust ...

For my needs, I am (finally) going to start building The Tank and it has to be indoors to ensure a stable warp-as-little-as-possible the wooden jigs and bed I have made. Also, it is no fun setting in the garage watching chops and dust fly all over when it is ten degrees.

My concern is not of the chips, but of the fine choking dust that gets into the room air. I have a thought out design for the containment and air and filtration, but wondering what you folks who have a tank have accomplished.

So, what success has this audience had in making a Tank of any sophistication that does not spew dust all over the room.

And, if the enclosure is completely sealed, do any of you have some kind of trap door or what ever, to allow long pieces to be machined and yet maintain some form of dust seal around the piece.

Thanks
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

milo30

Re: Shark Tanks, Dust, Indoor or Outdoor Shop

Post by milo30 »

i built mine oversized for cleaning and maintenance. attached hose from 2hp dust collector but it is pretty worthless unless i am cutting something dusty like mdf. it will clear the air of dust then i vacuum the tank with shop vac. works better than the dustboot.

i wouldnt worry about air tight. if you use a dc you will need some way to let air in. i didnt make a back door which was a mistake for larger boards. Besides being cleaner and letting me breath better, it really reduced the noise but did increase the heat generated by the router.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

While putting an enclosure around your machine may help contain the dust, it will allow more dust to settle on the lead-screws and bearing rods, and ultimately gum them up.

The moving parts are best kept clean, and so a good dust collection system with a cyclone and a small micron filter is the best way to go for cleanliness and health reasons. That fine dust is not only a nuisance but a health issue as well.

I am not a huge fan of the NWA dust shoe as it is reported that the bristles are quite stiff, but also the vacuum hose connection is quite small. I use the Kent dust shoe with a 4" hose connection , a 1.5 hp dust collector and a true cyclone separator, and the machine stays quite clean. Then your enclosure will not need to be air tight, as the vacuum is putting it in negative pressure like a chemistry lab hood.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

As regards air-tight, I was not intending it to be totally sealed off. And, I will be running negative pressure inside the box. Plans are to have about an 8" middle section go up and over the CNC, and the front and back hinged at the top. The front and back will be a one piece front, sides and top. The front and back will have a bottom section hinged to allow long pieces can go across the bed.

As far as air filtration, I have a 450cfm squirrel cage fan that will capture the fine dust and that will be processed in a cyclone and the air will be returned to the room after going thru two furnace filters. Incoming air will be from the front face of the tank, insuring cooler air plus a somewhat negative pressure. I always vacuum out the chips etc each time a piece is done so the bearings are usually quite clean.

I had enough dust in the garage and can not allow that much inside the house. Even in a contained room. It simply gets all over. So, a tank is required.

Thanks
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

more than you ever wanted to know about the dangers of small particle dust in the home wood-shop.
Bill has some excellent info on his site.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclon ... corner.cfm

Devlin

Post by Devlin »

I am new. But I do run the brush with a vacuum. I also have running overhead a 500 cfm dust collector. I am thinking of building a table with a cage for the cnc. I would attach the dust collector to the side and use it as a downdraft system. I would have inlet holes on the far side of the box. No heat buildup and would capture most if not all the dust.

Rando

Post by Rando »

I wanted to comment back then, but I didn't have the current iteration of my "enclosure" on my machine.

My needs are a bit non-standard, in that I predominantly make aluminum parts, typically under 6" on a side. So, I have two machining vises (90# total, including the extra aluminum bracing) on the bed. When machining aluminum it's important to BLOW the chips out, since they'll chip the cutter and ruin the surface if they get caught between the cutter and material after they've been cut. To accommodate that, I have three nozzles: one pointing at the cutting point, then two fan-shaped ones forming a horizontal air-curtain to keep everything relative "low" on the table.

Then, around the Shark HD2+ 28x36" table, I installed 0.040" thick clear acrylic sheeting. In the areas where the gantry goes, it's 8.5" above the bed, so it goes just under that ganty. Then, at the end where the gantry can't reach, it goes up to about 16" tall and makes this awesome window to look and film through during the work. This keeps the chips down and on the bed really well to they don't fly all around the area. I have more than a little electronics there, so am quite happy not to have little floating bits of metal in the air. Because the work is in a vise, it's typically up and out of the chips, so I typically let them get to about 3" deep before vacuuming them out.
The Shark Enclosure
The Shark Enclosure
Cheers!

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)