To stiffen the Z axis.

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: sbk, al wolford

To stiffen the Z axis.

Postby FixitMike » Mon May 16, 2016 2:43 pm

I've noticed that the Z carriage on my Shark Pro Plus deflects significantly when I plunge. I finally figured out some of the reason why. The back plate of the carriage is fastened to the plates that carry the ball slide bearings with two bolts that are located close to the center of the back plate. Not a particularly rigid connection. So I added some extra screws to stiffen the connection per the attached photo. It does make a difference.
Attachments
Z carriage mod.jpg
FixitMike

Re: To stiffen the Z axis.

Postby anglinnr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:46 am

I have been fighting this problem for the past 2 years. I was getting ready to rebuild the entire carriage out of aluminum. You may have just saved me a great deal of work. I have also noticed that there is flex in the x axis rails. The top one in particular. I plan on putting an aluminum angle across the back side at that point.
anglinnr

Postby FixitMike » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:57 pm

The X and Y axis rails in the ProPlus are marginal. I calculated that the weight of the gantry, Z carriage, and router will cause a deflection of .027" in the center of the table. The result is that if you put a dial indicator in your chuck, a perfectly flat table will look like it is .027" high in the center (because the router drops that much). This thread has a log of good information about making the axes more rigid: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1342
FixitMike

Postby BillK » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:30 pm

yes, I got 0.0285" when I calculated the deflection many moons ago. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=670&start=10

This has not affected anything that I have ever machined, but I remain aware of the center spot and do most of my small work in the lower let hand corner.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver
BillK

Postby tonydude » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 am

Take a look at this video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSTThLM8s8o&t=430s how he has strenghten his shark.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 9.510, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed, control panel 2.1
tonydude

Return to Shark Pro Plus