Shark work leveling system

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ponderosa_boy

Shark work leveling system

Post by ponderosa_boy »

Check this out. Email me at bobtoy@comcast.net if any interest or questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg33M8Z ... e=youtu.be

bill z

Re: Shark work leveling system

Post by bill z »

Isn't virtual zeroing suppose to do the same thing?

I don't have but considering VZ, and from what I have read, it is suppose to sense, log and make adjustments for differences.

I would really like to know the differences.

AZRoger

Re: Shark work leveling system

Post by AZRoger »

OK. Two comments - the first is software, the second hardware.

First, I think the Virtual Z0 is supposed to do this. I experimented a lot and discovered how it works. VZ (virtually) places a short 4 sided pyramid on top of the work piece. It is a pyramid with 4 flat faces that meet at the center of the work piece. Think Giza - but smaller. Tool paths are adjusted by the height of the face of pyramid at each X/Y location. It's better that having just one zero point for the whole work piece. But better still is doing a scan of work piece top surface - as mounted to the table - and either projecting v-carving on to that 3D surface or adding the work piece profile to the rest of the modeling elements that are being machined.

Second, I really fought with my HD 2.0 (blue T track top) doing molding in hard maple. When I clamped the maple hard to the table, it bent to meet the table and the table bent to meet the maple. As I machined the rough and final cuts, the maple became weaker as material was removed. By the final passes, the maple had yielded to the table. The new balance of forces moved the Z height by over a mm. This was a serious problem since I was using tiling techniques to work my way down the molding. I added a slipper to the 3D model that set the tool path on a very gradual ramp in and ramp out of the cutting zone for each tile. I have since replaced the bed with the thicker aluminum colored track used in the newer models. And I shimmed each of the tongue and groove extrusions so they fit tight. Details available if requested.