Laser Tools for Shark HD

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gordread

Laser Tools for Shark HD

Post by gordread »

Hey everyone. I know that there are a couple of people here who have the Laser Tool add-on for the Shark HD.

I've read the specs, so I know it is not an incredibly powerful laser, the specs say that it is capable of cutting through 3/64 wood, which isn't a lot. I guess it is meant more for engraving and decorating than for fine cutting.

I think that I would still like to get one, however, before I drop over $1000cdn I'd like to ask a couple of questions of you who have one.

1. What is the accuracy like? (really fine beam? Pencil thin? smaller?)
2. Is 3/64 really the cutting limit? (I'd really like to get 1/8 if possible)
3. How is it attached to the gantry? I assume that I have to pull out the router, but I'd rather not if I don't have to since I have an aluminum clamp and it is really tight.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

monitoringpost

Re: Laser Tools for Shark HD

Post by monitoringpost »

Hi,

I can answer #3 even though I don't own one and you probably just overlooked it but NWA's laser simply chucks up in your router - just check out their site!

The research I've done on lasers suggests a much more powerful laser than the one NWA sells to cut material 1/8" thick. I did see a sample at a Rockler store this winter when in the states and I was underwhelmed - yours and others mileage may vary.

Good Luck

gordread

Re: Laser Tools for Shark HD

Post by gordread »

Thanks. It does seem to be pretty small if it chucks in the router. But I guess from a convenience standpoint that is better than trying to put in and take out the router each time I wanted to use the laser.