Bit Profile Cross Reference Chart

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

railroads2005

Bit Profile Cross Reference Chart

Post by railroads2005 »

Noobie here. Just got the shard hd extended table set up and I am wondering with all the bits out there and all the materials, speeds, depths, passes, etc. is there any kind of a master cross reference chart that suggests what type of bit to use, what speed, what feed rate for different materials...(i.e. if I am doing a cut out of an object rather than a carving and let's say in 1/2" mdf how do I know what type bit (router or end mill bit, spiral flute, up cut, down cut, straight flute, single flute, 2flute, 4 flute, what feed rate and what speed to use? what about for mdf, insulation board, HPDE, Acrylic, Aluminum, etc.).....seems to me someone must have published a reference chart of some sort by now as cnc routers have been around for over 30 years now )maybe even longer).

sharkcutup

Re: Bit Profile Cross Reference Chart

Post by sharkcutup »

NOPE! I have not found one and I am a NEWbie too!

Seems as if there are too many variables to have any type of standard. Different materials, material compositions, stresses within the material(s), router bits maximum chip load under different rpms, etc. etc. etc.........

The only real standards (2) I have found is are guides (dial setting vs material used) this information is usually in the router manual that came with the router.
Example:
Dial Setting RPM Application
1 8,000 Nonferrous metals, larger diameter bits and cutters
2 13,500 Nonferrous metals, larger diameter bits and cutters
3 16,500 Nonferrous metals, larger diameter bits and cutters
4 20,000 Softwoods, plastics, counter tops, smaller diameter bits and cutters
5 21,500 Softwoods, plastics, counter tops, smaller diameter bits and cutters
6 25,000 Softwoods, plastics, counter tops, smaller diameter bits and cutters

And another type of guide I have found is (Bit size vs RPM) (Suggested Router Bit Speeds) --- smaller bits faster rpms --- larger bits slower rpms (I would caution using this type of guide because you should always pay attention to the bit manufacturer's recommended MAXIMUM RPM!)
Example:
Bit Diameter Max. Speed (RPM)
1" (25mm) 24,000
1-1/4" - 2" (30-50mm) 18,000
2-1/4"-21/2" (55-65mm) 16,000
3" - 3-1/2" (75-90mm) 12,000

My only recommendation after deciding on a material take and cut a scrap piece from it and create short trial programs of the type of cuts with the type of bits for your project until you are satisfied with the results (No chatter marks, no burning, no high pitched bit squealing etc...) just nice clean cuts! Get yourself a notebook and jot down your acceptable rpms, feed speed rate and type of material used.
You can use this information for other jobs using the same material and same router bits used.

DO NOT EXCEED THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM RPMS FOR ANY ROUTER BIT!!!

Ooh and also there are various videos online where some have noted their acceptable rpms and feed rates with certain types of materials and the bit used. Oh yeah and don't forget to browse this forum there is tons of valuable information here too!

You may find as I have that you will have to spend a ton of time watching videos and experimenting on your own to get the satisfactory rpms, feed rates for the particular type material you are cutting! And when you finally do just imagine all the projects you'll be able to cut up!!!

Hope this helps! If anyone has anything else to add please feel free to do so!!!

Have a GREAT DAY Everyone! ;)
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Bob

Post by Bob »

This link was posted over on the Vectric Forum. It's probably more than you want, but it sure answers a lot of questions for you:
http://www.onsrud.com/files/pdf/LMT-Ons ... -Guide.pdf
Bob

Update: I located the original person who posted this link, Randall, http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... de#p174212
Last edited by Bob on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

dmyers

Post by dmyers »

Bob,

Thanks for the pdf file.

David

frankr4ever

Post by frankr4ever »

WOW !!!

burkecnc

Post by burkecnc »

Yes, that PDF file was very helpful for me too. Thanks!